Help with Ubuntu

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
Ok i am a total linux noob, been using it for 3 days now.

i'm trying to install vmtools as i am running the distro within VMware.

i go to the terminal and type the required text

coolervm@VMOS:~/Desktop/vmware-tools-distrib$ sudo ./vmware-install.pl

all is well and i'm clicking enter on the options that come up, then this bugger pops up and i have done all i can to get past it.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

i've downloaded the actual headers my source is
coolervm@VMOS:~$ uname -r
2.6.15-26-386

but when i actually go to that folder which is not in the directory that vmware thinks it should be in i get this error.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-23-386/include

The directory of kernel headers (version 2.6.15-23-386) does not match your
running kernel (version 2.6.15-26-386). Even if the module were to compile
successfully, it would not load into the running kernel.

i need help... as a noob i feel i've done fairly well, i've researched this on google and followed a lot of the suggestions on the forums, but nothing is working or i am just not understanding it..

did you do a cd (change directory) before you tried the install? If not type in cd and the path of the folder that holds the install. then try running the install.

Its telling you what the problem is, The directory of kernel headers (version 2.6.15-23-386) does not match your
running kernel (version 2.6.15-26-386).

So, you need to update your kernel headers.

Copy and paste the following to make sure that you install the matching linux-headers to your running kernel version

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Last edited:
taz thankyou so much... i saw that instruction before but it was written incorrectly on ubuntu's site. it seems to now be doing what i need, i'll let you know if vmware tools installs. one good thing about this is that i'm learning more about how to work with linux, than if it did work in the first place. thanks

yes yes yes yes... woohoo it works at long last :) thanks so much

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back