Help with slave hard drive

K

kilopapa

Hi, I have a Windows XP machine and no matter what "slave" hard drive I put on the IDE controller cable I receive the below message. I have searched the web and Microsoft sites and I have found ALL the articles about the 'inaccessable boot device' stop error but I don't get this error.
One article says if you can't boot, put the offending drive in the 'slave' position to recover the data. But it is the slave position that doesn't work!
The drives are shown correctly in the bios boot screen. I have reinstalled XP with the repair mode.
All 3 drives work fine on another XP machine. I have changed cables, etc. Any ideas what to check?
Thanks,
Keith

------
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to
your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your
computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or
hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly
configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption,
and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B {0xFB109640,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000}
-----

you have set the drive jumpers correctly aint you, master / slave positions?

you've not said what hardware drive config you have try here

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q122926

Thanks for the reply

I have read all these KB articles. They all refer to the "boot device". I am trying to use a 2nd HD in the slave configuration on the Primary IDE controller. I even put the drives on the Secondary IDE channel. Same message.
One KB article said to recover data as a last resort, configure the HD as a Slave and copy off the data. But, it is the slave that doen't function. I think maybe something in the bios on the Motherboard is not compatible or is wrong in the registry.
I will keep looking but I thought I would try to tap all that knowledge out there.
Thanks for any more ideas,
Thanks,
Keith

Is the hard drive new? Some hard drives require a program to install themselves. Also windows wont recognise a unformatted hard drive, make sure the drive is formatted. Another thing that has caused problems for me in the past, not on xp, is the primary ide controller driver was wrong. Uninstalling, and reinstalling worked. Good Luck

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back