Help with purchasing new video card

homesick1337

Computer Lover
2 260s would be cool..

but be sure u're getting the new models which come with more stream proc's than the old ones!

2 260s would be cool..

but be sure u're getting the new models which come with more stream proc's than the old ones!

If the 260s are better then why are the 9800s double there price? I read the 260 are newer then the 9800s but I don't understand why a lower price for a much newer card.

Thanks for the advice.

The 260 is not top of the line like the 9800 was. The 280 is.

I would never recommend SLi, I love nvidia cards but I would avoid it like the plague

Well SLI has it cons and pros [no dual monitor sucks] but I wouldn't say its not beneficial. Both those cards wouldn't be the ones I upgrade to personally. Since its Nvidia I would buy a 280 for now and then another one later if money is an issue.

Yeah, if you are wanting to go dual monitor; I would go another route. The gtx 280 is a nice card, but, I would go for the ati 4870x2 over it ..

I am looking to play Crisis and want to upgrade my 7800 ultra that I run x 2 in sli.

What would be my best option if $ is not a issue?

I am looking at cards online and it seems like my options right now from bestbuy are....

BFG - NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB GDDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card

BFG - NVIDIA GeForce 260 GTX OC 896MB GDDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card

What would you recomend? As I am looking to buy 2 and set them to SLI.

Thank You,
Mathew

The AMD 4870X2 is by far the fastest single-card solution in many games and in some, like GRID, it is head and shoulders better than anything else.

There are supposed to be some card refreshes coming in the next couple of months (typical 6-8 month refresh cycle) but I haven't heard more than rumours thus far.

The new 260 with extra stream processors is the better option for you btw. Same clocks and features but I believe more ROPs.

If the 260s are better then why are the 9800s double there price? I read the 260 are newer then the 9800s but I don't understand why a lower price for a much newer card.

Thanks for the advice.

The 9800x2 is a dual-gpu solution in a "single" card package.

If you look at the benches, the card still holds its own v/s many of today's cards.

Nice card. ATI drivers still rock compared to Nvidia.

Hey Sazar what would you say to two 8800Ultras?

I was say waste of money at this point. :)

The newer cards are much more powerful. 2 8800 GTS's on the other hand, still quite potent for the price :D

Nice card. ATI drivers still rock compared to Nvidia.

Yah, no kidding.

I remember like 4 or 5 years ago, all the Nvidia fanboi's trashing ATi's drivers.

Boy how the tables have turned.

Yah, no kidding.

I remember like 4 or 5 years ago, all the Nvidia fanboi's trashing ATi's drivers.

Boy how the tables have turned.

Do you remember 9 years ago, when the Voodoo fanbois were trashing NVidia's drivers? Full circle...heh

Hi everyone I just wanted to say thank you for all the help with selecting a video card!!!!!

I read thru everyones post and took everything said and came to this purchase from newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143144

I bought 2 of the 280 BFG overclocked cards and plan to set them up in SLI.

I saw a few other cards for $100 more but the leap didnt seem to be that much to justify the extra $100 each.

I guess now my next question would be if I had $2000 to budget what CPU , Mobo, and OS should I get for gaming?

I was thinking of buying windows vista 64 bit but was worried my games wouldnt run well in vista 64bit. I play World of Warcraft and use a lot of mods and that was my biggest concern.

If anyone got any advice on what to go with let me know.

Thanks,
Mathew

I was say waste of money at this point. :)

The newer cards are much more powerful. 2 8800 GTS's on the other hand, still quite potent for the price :D

The GT's are more powerful than the Ultras? Man I thought it was the other way around. Ultras are still going for $500.
edit: Newegg finally dropped it $199. TigerDirect had it at that price for weeks.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back