Help with PNG and Macro Fireworks.

J

Jazzhound

Hey guys, I've been sampling the new MX 2004 stuff from Macromedia and I never really tried using Fireworks before as I own a copy of Photoshop 5.5, but did it out of curiosity. Now here is the kicker. I know PNG has long been a supported format so I gave it a try and saved a picture in PNG which appears to be default format under Fireworks 2004. Long story short, I ended up with a 3MByte file from what originally was only a 700kb photo I took in JPEG at 1600x1200 resolution.

Question is then, is it infact a native format that Fireworks uses and is compression similar to JPEG or more like GIF89?

Thanks guys

This is a given, however I would not expect an 800x600 sized picture to take 3MBytes.

I read some tidbits about PNG and it appears to be superior to all other formats, almost like BMP. I just need to play around with Fireworks to optimize it for web use.

FireWorks native format is layered PNG32, if you want smaller PNG files you can use the export feature to use PNG8 with dithering, the compression is the same as GIF but in most cases better.
For images with many colours your better off wtih JPEG as PNG and GIF are excellent for compressing images with few colours/low detail (comics would be a good example) but a photograph for example may not look to good, unless you use PNG32, which as you know, creates large files. :)

For more info on png, take a look here: http://burnallgifs.org/
there's a lot of good info links and format compressions there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back