help with outputting info from batch file

Ok im running a very simple batch file and i want to admend a text file on a server [(located this way)\\servername\share\text.txt] with everything the batchfile displays after being run admended to the text file.

Any ideas?

btw this is the info that is being run inb the .bat

Code:
Prompt $D 
Prompt $V

Ipconfig /all

ping x.xx.xx.x

tracert  x.xx.xx.x

Pause

Last edited:
Crude but:
Redirect the command response to text files then combine them. This works for an unlimited number of commands. There is probably a more ellegant method but I'm tired and a thunder storm is coming in...

Ipconfig /all > \\servername\share\text1.txt
ping x.xx.xx.x > \\servername\share\text2.txt
tracert x.xx.xx.x > \\servername\share\text3.txt

copy \\servername\share\text1.txt + \\servername\share\text2.txt + \\servername\share\text3.txt \\servername\share\text.txt
del \\servername\share\text1.txt
del \\servername\share\text2.txt
del \\servername\share\text3.txt

I wasn't sure if you wanted to keep appending to text.txt for multiple runs. If that's the case then just add text.txt as the first file in the copy list. The copy + command appends all files in the string then saves them to the destination file. You might have to add a /Y to force an over write of text.txt without a prompt but I think it runs without the /Y.

ping x.xx.xx.x > \\servername\share\text2.txt
tracert x.xx.xx.x > \\servername\share\text3.txt

copy \\servername\share\text.txt + \\servername\share\text1.txt + \\servername\share\text2.txt + \\servername\share\text3.txt \\servername\share\text.txt
del \\servername\share\text1.txt
del \\servername\share\text2.txt
del \\servername\share\text3.txt

You will need to create an empty text.txt to start or you'll get a file not found.

Last edited:
Ok im running a very simple batch file and i want to admend a text file on a server [(located this way)\\servername\share\text.txt] with everything the batchfile displays after being run admended to the text file.

Any ideas?
huh? admend? do you mean append?

in which case, why not just run the batch file and redirect to append the output to a text file (ie: test.bat >> \\servername\share\text.txt) or, you could modify the commands in the text file to redirect/appended (ie, in your batch file, run "ping x.x.x.x >> text.txt")

Crude but:
Redirect the command response to text files then combine them. This works for an unlimited number of commands. There is probably a more ellegant method but I'm tired and a thunder storm is coming in...

no need to copy after wards.. the single ">" will redirect output to a new file (or overwrite an existing file) .. a double ">>" will append to an existing file.

I dont think you can use inc paths in dos. you need to map a network drive to my knowledge. You can do "net use" to do that though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back