help with networking.

lynchknot

OSNN Senior Addict
Hello. I want to hook up 2 pc's, the cheap way. I have 1 extra NIC and Cat 5 crossover cable. This is a cable system. It was working for a few hours, but when I had to reformat, I could not get it to work anymore. Any advice or a direction for a tutorial for this kind of network would be appreciated. thanks

I have the same setup and I just use the networking wizard. Easy and painless.

I've been using the wizard for 2 days now expecting (hoping) a good result - but no.

The computer with the internet we call Comp1. The other we call Comp2.

1. Install both NIC:s in Comp1. Make sure the internet is working.
2. Enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the cable connection (NIC1) on Comp1.
3. Verify that NIC2 now has the IP 192.168.0.1.
4. Connect the CAT5 cable, make sure the lights on the NIC:s light up.
5. On Comp2, set the IP to automatic.
6. Verify that Comp2 is assigned an IP in the 192.168.0.* range.

Then you're done. :)

If Zedric's procedure doesn't work there is one other possibility since you reformatted just before the problem.

I had an old NIC card (supplied by my ISP) that did not work properly with Windows. An updated driver was required. When I reformatted after the install I lost the updated driver and did not know the card had a problem. The network stopped working.

Go to the web sites of the NIC vendors and check for driver updates. Also, if possible, make sure the 2 NIC cards in the internet machine are both the same brand. That will remove any problems with driver versions getting "confused".

This is PC 1:
1.png

connection 2 does have that IP

Now looking at the other PC under safe mode with networking I see:

local area connection is enabled but under support it is all "unavailable:

The other connection Network Bridge under support says Address type: automatic - IP address 169........ - Subnet mask: 255... Default gateway

Network bridge? No that's wrong. Delete that. It's not supposed to be there. That's probably the cause.

You also need to disables XP's built in firewall as this nterferes with File and Print Sharing. and on the LAN properties you need to unclick the 802.1 option for authetication.

I have had most networks working fine without unticking 802.1 authentication as they're wired networks, not wireless (as 802.1 is also known as).

If you dont have wireless kit and/or never intend to get any then untick the box... usually works fine without.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back