Help with My CPU fan...

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Hey, this is kind of off topic but it is very important....
My cpu fan seems to not be working(acording to my computer). My pc says it is only going at about 1300 revolutions per minute. and this is really random it never did this before. I also dont believe that it is lying because unaided with another fan and only the cpu fan directly on it my cpu temp is at 43 degrees celsius and rising (usually at 32 degrees celsius). Can anyone tell me what to do? Is it a program problem or do i need to buy a new fan for my cpu (athlon x2 4600).......
- Thanks Alot,
Jack

if its going at 1300rpm its hardly not working is it? :p

Disabled cool and quiet and set fan speed to full or threshold disabled.

Now see thats the problem, i have taken the fan apart and cleaned it completely from dust, and i never turned cool and quiet on due to my friends saying it makes my cpu run slower. But heres a new catch, i just plugged the fan into a chassis port on my mobo and my cpu temp is down to 33 degrees celsius, which is a normal temp for my pc when my room is hot.... So what does that mean? i guess that means the fan is fine but why would the cpu slot for my fan not be working?
- Jack

LordOfLA said:
set fan speed to full or threshold disabled.

Check for a variable fan speed setting in the BIOS. It could be that the fan is run slower until more cooling is needed.

Admiral Michael said:
Check for a variable fan speed setting in the BIOS. It could be that the fan is run slower until more cooling is needed.
what is a Q-fan? because thats all i found relating to the fan in the bios.
- Jack
Thanks again

Admiral Michael said:
I don't own a 64bit machine but I'm guessing that could be it.
its enabled should i disable it?
- Jack

Probably means cool and quiet is enabled. How they refer to cool and quiet varies by Bios make.

43 deg C is fine for that CPU so they idle the fan to keep the noise down. Turn it off and your fan should go to full speed. Some systems will allow you to pick what the threshold level is some have a preset threshold.

LeeJend said:
Probably means cool and quiet is enabled. How they refer to cool and quiet varies by Bios make.

43 deg C is fine for that CPU so they idle the fan to keep the noise down. Turn it off and your fan should go to full speed. Some systems will allow you to pick what the threshold level is some have a preset threshold.
i would of thought it was that as well, however my bios also have a "k8 cool n quiet" enable/disable selector box.
- Jack

Wouldn't disabling Q-Fan make the cpu fan run at full speed? If so then if you want it to run at full speed then by all means disable it.

Q-Fan... isn't that an ASUS board? Disable Q-Fan and AMD's cool-n-quiet if you want max cooling at all times. Never enable both as they will not work well together. AMD's cool-n-quite will throttle your CPU speed, running slower when demand is light. Q-fan only controls fan speed based on temps you can specifiy in the bios.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back