Help with home network P2p

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political Access
I am in the process of trying to set up my home network. It is p2p for file nd print share (only till I get my file server). I have two pc's running on a netgear mr814 router. I have prob where on this pc I can see the other computer, but when I try to axx it I get a "you don't have authorization" error. On the other pc I can't see this pc to try and axx it .. .

I have ran the set up qizard several times, set shared folders, have them both on the same work group. and am using xp home on both machines. I have the foggiest what I am doing wrong here. I am like totally lost lol ..

Any help would be appreciated ..

Make sure Windows' built in firewall is disabled on the LAN. I left it enabled on a laptop that I had home networked and the firewall was causing it to not file-share or print-share at all.

Sometimes also when I go to access another computer across the network, an error will popup saying target device not found -- I click ok and then it comes up... goofy Windows.

i really dont think windows firewall will restrict your file sharing for your LAN
but its windows you never know :)
if you can access the files?
""""I try to axx it """"
wtf is AXX it?
or what exactally cant you do?
right click on the HD and goto sharing make sure u have "allow users to change files" something like that there is a setting that letes other users allow you to change the files enable that
i had that disabled once and it casued me all sorts of problems

hope i helped

celticfan11 said:
i really dont think windows firewall will restrict your file sharing for your LAN
but its windows you never know :)
if you can access the files?
""""I try to axx it """"
wtf is AXX it?
or what exactally cant you do?
right click on the HD and goto sharing make sure u have "allow users to change files" something like that there is a setting that letes other users allow you to change the files enable that
i had that disabled once and it casued me all sorts of problems

hope i helped

Thanx for the help. Axx mean access - I am trying to set up file share and print share between two pc's. I run the wizard numerous times and it keeps telling me I have to have a primary pc to give INTERNET access to, and a client pc that will share the INTERNET connection with the primary pc. I am running this through a netgear mr814 router. I just want to share files between the two of them. It will not work. I have tried to make various files shared and it put the shortcuts from the source pc's in the network places folder of each computer. The prob I am having is that this pc will see the other pc but when I try to connect to it I get an error saying that I do not have permission. and then when I try to map the drive it shows the other pc but when I click on it it says the drive could not be found on the network. The other pc won't even connect, it tells me that I don't have permission to access the workgroup, or the workgroup doesn't exist.. I also have the built in firewall turned off.. I do however have Zone Alarm running. I did disable it and it still did this, so I don't think that was it.

This is driving me crazy, I don't understand why it is not working. I did everything the help in M$ told me also. any help will be appreciated..

when you do the wizard
do you choose the option where it says you are using a residual gateway or something like that
your internet is from a gate way

and the router has a build in switch im assuming
so as long as the switch is working just plugging the PC's into it... they should be able to see eachother

Yes the router is a switch and like I said this one can see the other pc but won't axx it and the other pc won't even connect to the workgroup. I'm just going to say screw it and get my file server done.

Thanx for the help anyhow..

I know this is a bit of an old bump - but I am having same issue - need to share from a Pro to a Home system to grab the stuff I want to save from Home before I reformat to Pro on the old Home one.... any help anyone? I am wondering if this is a shortcoming of Home now after the reading I just did....

Ironic I need the facility to help with the upgrade to pro?! :(

more complicated

TittleBitties said:
What r u planing to save?

ah - well basically that starts to get more complicated to explain - I will make a new thread I think, this was just a very close one to resurrect, but now I think about it my situation is a bit different....

Feel free to lock this thread if you think it should be any mod....

[EDIT] here is the other thread I made [/EDIT]

I found that my problem was zone alarm. It was not set up right. I inunstalled it and it worked perfect. When I reinstalled it I had to go into the trusted zones and add the ip for each pc on the network that was able to have axx to my network. Once I did that it worked perfect ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back