Help with hardware issue

tufunuf

OSNN Junior Addict
I posted this in another forum. I didn't get but one reply I am not sure if this is the right place or not.

I bought a more powerful graphics card (ATI Technologies Radeon X1300 Pro Video Card, PCI Express, 256MB DDR2) and want to chage out my 300 watt PSU with a 500 watt unit. My machine is a Pentium 4, 2.93 Ghz, Compaq Presario SR1250SN. I have the dimensions of my current power supply (6" wide X 3.5" tall X 5.5" Deep.) It is a 2X12 24 pin atx unit. Is there anything else I need to know about the PSU before I purchase one? I am hoping to get one for $100 or less. I may be disappointed. That may not be do-able.

If you could point me towards a particular one on Buy.Com TigerDirect or NewEgg I would be greatful.

Also, is there a specific sequence that you go through in installing the PSU and graphics card?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Unfortuatley I think your going to be a bit disappointed as your not going to find a 500W PSU for $100 or less, at least not one you would want to endanger your system with. However the good news is that you should be ok with a 300W PSU unless you have 2 or more HDDs. You can expect to pay about $300 for a good 500W PSU.

As far a procedure, there isn't any order to do it in, however I would recomend installing the new PSU (when you get it) frist with the old graphics card, fire the system up and make sure everything is working correctly with the new PSU, then change out the graphics card. This way if the new PSU is faulty (unlikey but possible) your new graphics card won't take an unnessesary sacrafice in the event of catastrophy.

I replied to your other post about this. You need to contact HP for a PSU upgrade for that compaw machine as they are not usually standard dimensions or wiring. HP will be able to confirm so you dont end up wasting money.

Do you have any idea how to obtain an HP phone number regarding PSU upgrades?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back