Help with disconnection!

ShepsCrook

Red Sox Fan!
Ok, I installed a Linksys Wireless G PCI card into one of my computers about.... 20-30 ft away from the wireless G router. It worked until I switched cases and had to install a new HD. Now it seems the card won't keep a consistant connection with the router. It will disconnect or lose connection at least 3 times an hour, while the computer is in use.

Any suggestions as to why this might be happening and how to fix it?

maybe the new case is preventing the signal from going out correctly (maybe that's not it though) or maybe the driver didn't install correctly

Well, I've reinstalled the original CD drivers, as well as tried new ones from the linksys website. I was thinking maybe the case is blocking some of the signal. I might try moving the computer closer to router by a few feet tomorrow.

Are you using both the card and router in 'G' mode (router may be transmitting both B and G signals, try switching to just one)

Are there any other devices close by which may interfere ? (bizarre as it may be, microwaves, cordless phones, cellphones and sometimes even bluetooth can mess with a connection. I've seen cases where a neighbours cordless phone messed with a wifi rotuer, pain in the ass.)

Also you could try a connection monitoring tool (I can't suggest any for Windows as I don't know any.) which will monitor the signal/noise/connection speed and packets... may give you an idea of why the connection drops.

Well, the router is on the other side of the room from my main computers which are hardlined.. (Router is closer to the computer that is having the problems) Inbetween the router and the bad computer is just a hallway and walls.

I do have a panasonic 5.8ghz phone in the room, but that's too high of a range to be messing with the router...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back