Help with Burned Video on XP

F

Friedah

Alright, this really makes me angry. Hopefully someone can help me. I spent a lot of time downloading episodes of various tv shows, and movies off Kazaa and burning them on cds so I could take them off my harddrive and watch them anytime I want. It worked fine with Windows 98. When I popped in the cd, i opened up My Computer, the cd drive, and bam, there they were. Now that I upgraded to XP, I have discovered, to my horror, that every CD (but a select few, I have no idea why) appears to be empty. I pop one in, and the burn cd thing comes up, none of my burned files are shown. On the pie chart, the disc appears to be empty, however, it is interesting to note that very little space is shown to be on the CD, probably whatever was left over after I burned the files on (like 30 mb, as opposed to 700). Then I tried putting it in my other drive, and since its not a burner, it says the disc structure is corrupted or unreadable. I can put them into a friends computer running Win 98, and guess what, works just fine. Can anyone tell me what the problem here is????

My only guess is that maybe it does not read cds that never were finalized? I dont know. If this is it, there must be a way to fix it.

check and/or reinstall your burner software... and make sure your not useing a CD-RW format (cuz something that cuses errors when it can't find a cd burner software anywhere)...

Friedah, you didn't say what program you used to burn the cds. Don't use XP's built in burner, it's crap. Use a good one like Nero or CloneCD and you won't have this problem. Good luck mate.

Originally posted by Friedah
...Now that I upgraded to XP, I have discovered, to my horror, that every CD (but a select few, I have no idea why) appears to be empty...

i have the same problem. you know what my conclusion is? every CD i ever burned in Win98 was in the UDF format. i can't read ANY of those UDF-formatted CDs on ANY Win2K box or WinXP box. for whatever reason, Win2K/XP will not read UDF-formatted CDs (however, using Nero, you can format CDs in UDF format under WinXP) that were burned with Easy CD Creator and/or Nero (since those were the 2 CD burning apps i used in 98). i burned about 2 dozen CDs in ISO-9660 format in 98 and i could read those fine in XP; i burned approx 220 CDs in UDF format in 98 and i cannot read those at all in XP.

I used Nero. Jawshoouh, your problem must be my problem. I definetly remember using UDF as my format. How could Windows XP not recognize this? Isnt this a big problem they should be dealing with?! Is there any way to fix this??? Because i worked hard collecting every episode of seinfeld there ever was and logging it onto cds for perhaps my children... and my childrens children... lol

lol... J t R very tongue in cheek

LMAO...

Friedah while I empathise with your problem and do suggest a look around for burning software/media software that does allow you to view your cd's correctly... it is also a tad ironic to see you getting mad @ not being able to watch pirated products that you so diligently downloaded from the web and have been burning for personal use...

ok ok... jokes aside... spend some time to look for a fileplayer that does supprt viewing of the type of files you are trying to view... I am sure there are other people with similar problems and solutions on the internet...

per forum guidelines I am not going to include any links however... I am sure though that a person who has spent so long downloading and burning the media files... that you will have the time to go and download the said media apps...

:)

g.luck

Originally posted by J t R
yep,i'm sure Microsoft is working dilligently on a way to allow you to watch your pirated TV episodes and movies on XP...yep..they sure are....

blow it out your cakehole, Tesseract. I remember your trolling-a$$ from neowin. if you don't have any constructive input on this matter, keep your fingers off the keyboard. you weren't a mod there, and you're not a mod here.

and for people who have a problem with downloading TV shows off the internet for personal playback at a latter date: who f*ckin cares? what do you think TiVo is? same $hit, different medium.

yoyo - i've tried that, to no avail. same problem exists. it's something funky in WindowsXP and how it reads UDF-formatted CDs from another, previous OS. i've burned UDF CDs in XP and have been able to read them in XP...and Win98...and Win2K. it seems to be a one-way street. a JPG is a JPG, an MPG is an MPG, and an AVI is an AVI. with the right application, you can read it. viewing it with an application has got nothing to do with your OS not being able to read a CD-Rom. until someone can prove it otherwise on MY system and with MY CDs, i'm going to still assume it's a WindowsXP problem.

Im not profitting from this. Im saving them the only way I can. If there was a Seinfeld collection on DVD, id buy it. There isnt. This is the only way I can save episodes of that classic show. I think it would be great if someday I can show my children this collection I have put together.

Anyway, if someone is reading this and knows how to fix this problem, please contact me somehow. My e-mail is Friedah35@yahoo.com , AIM is Friedah35. You dont have to post it on here if you dont want to.

I agree with jawshoouh, same thing but different medium. You watch TV tape a movie/show and then lend it to a friend, what is the difference? None that I can see. Pirated movies? why just because you can borrow it from someone and make a copy for yourself nothing different then taping a movie and then lending it out. Just easier to share with people on the internet has a greater reach. Is it stealing maybe because you have pay for your cable subscription or movie rental.

Oh well each his own opinion

just my .02 cents worth.

Give ‘em hell jawshoouh!

I am sick and tired of these postings full of sanctimonious babble, like the ones from J_T_R, please. Stop with the “you shouldn’t be downloading illegal…” crap, keep it to yourself or go start your own righteous thread.

I say, help Friedah and the others, which is what this forum is about, or get off the boat. :mad:

Video swapping is not stealing. Mp3 swapping might be considered stealing because there is a loss involved, if you were to download an entire cd, and burn it onto a disk, its exactly the same as if you were to buy it. Money is lost because your not going to buy that cd now. When it comes to downloading episodes of Seinfeld, nobody is losing money. If I download episodes of it, am I now not going to buy the DVD collection that does not exist? And even if there was one, as for other shows that I have started to collect, such as the Simpsons, there is a DVD collection for that - The quality is much much worse and it can only be viewed on a computer whereas mp3s can be turned into wavs and heard on any cd player. I am still probably going to buy the DVD collection someday for the Simpsons simply for the extras and the better quality, not to mention I can watch it on a bigger screen. Theft by definition means somebody is losing money or something worth money. Nobody is losing money when it comes to downloading, in my case, episodes of Seinfeld.

So any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

J t R and jawshoouh, both of you shut it and stop the flaming

Keep it up and you will be reported

for those of you on this thread who are talking about warezing and the legality of it... and have started flaming each other... go back to my original post where I said you can check online on your own time and try to solve your problem..

here is the link for the forum guidelines...

http://www.ntfs.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=15979

notice that there is text beforehand that says
Before posting, please ensure you have accepted the [Forum Guidelines]

NOW... jawshoouh... bear in mind that if you have a TECHNICAL problem that needs help with... you may be helped... this is TECHNICAL support that you are posting in concerning help with apps...

keep your posts relevant to that...

downloading movies online is not legal... there is a disclaimer if you ever care to read with the FBI warnings on dvd/video's that tells you exactly what your privelages as a consumer of the copyrighted product is... therefore FRIEDAH... you are wrong... when you say video swapping online is not an infringement of copyrights or wrong...

tivo cannot be shared... it is basically doing the job of a VCR... fileswapping... regardless of the medium is infringment... deals with property of somebody else...

once again keep the posts here relevant and do not flame... there are many other places you cna go to flame people out...

:D

Originally posted by Friedah
Theft by definition means somebody is losing money or something worth money. Nobody is losing money when it comes to downloading, in my case, episodes of Seinfeld.

Gotta say you are wrong there. Theft does not always mean that money is lost. Copyright infringement is also theft, as the holder has control of the distribution of they media they own the copyright of.
Video taping a TV show is a form of copyright infringement but has been allowed as there is a small percentage of the cost of a Recordable Video Tape that goes to a general copyright group and is distributed among copyright holders. This is also why CDRs and CDRW for Audio are more expensive than normal CDRs and RWs this is because of a small extra charge for the copyright holders. It is so that they get some of their legally intitled money.

ALRIGHT!! How about this, I put my home videos on CDs that I loaded on my computer, using Nero and formatting it with the UDF mode. I lost my home videos. I spent a lot of time with them. Please help.

And in home videos, you mean illegal copies of movies, right? LOL.....HAAAAA ....LOL :D

Alright, lets just make this clear. This is a technical forum. I presented a problem. Whatever the video, it does not matter, because we are here to solve problems. I am not the only one who has come across this issue. Im wondering if anybody knows a fix. Thats all there is to it. I should not have even mentioned what the video was because it is irrelevant.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back