Help with BIOS settings

Kr0m

OSNN Veteran Addict
I posted this over at the OCZ forums but I'll post here as well in hopes of a quicker response time hehe....

I just upgraded my motherboard, cpu, ram (AMD 4400+, PC3200 ddr400 to Intel e8400, PC8500 DDR21066) and I noticed that my values don't seem to read 'as advertised'. I've messed around a bit in the bios with different things (after doing hours of research) but I'm still not sure if I'm setting values correctly. I'm not looking to overclock it a huge amount but I'd at least like to get the optimum values for the CPU and RAM with the best settings possible.
I've managed to change a few settings successfully but the others I'm not so sure about changing or whether not anything else needs to be changed at all.

The following screenshots should help:

1. A screenshot of memtest (no errors)

2. CPU Values from CPU-Z (If I understand correctly... Core Voltage, Core Speed, Multiplier fluctuate depending on loads)

3. Motherboard Info from CPU-Z

4. Memory Info from CPU-Z (Are the FSB : DRAM values ok?)

5. SPD Info from CPU-Z

6. BIOS Screenshot - AI Tweaker Part I

7. BIOS Screenshot - AI Tweaker Part II

8. BIOS Screenshot - AI Tweaker Part III

9. BIOS Screenshot - Advanced

Thanks for your help!

If you're talking about CPU and RAM front side bus speeds, they are correct. Intel CPUs are 'quad-pumped', meaning, they send 4x the amount of data per cycle, so 333Mhz x 4 = 1332Mhz FSB. As for RAM, DDR2 means 'double data rate', so 532.8Mhz x 2 = 1065.6 FSB. As for the timings, I would leave them as they are, since you're getting no errors. Hope this helps! :)

If you're talking about CPU and RAM front side bus speeds, they are correct. Intel CPUs are 'quad-pumped', meaning, they send 4x the amount of data per cycle, so 333Mhz x 4 = 1332Mhz FSB. As for RAM, DDR2 means 'double data rate', so 532.8Mhz x 2 = 1065.6 FSB. As for the timings, I would leave them as they are, since you're getting no errors. Hope this helps! :)

Cool,Thanks.

If you go to overclock, set your NB strap high as it goes, reboot, set your CPU:RAM ratio (or 'memory divider' as some boards call it) to 1:1, reboot, set your RAM's tRC to 22, reboot, then you can start pushing your CPU FSB (which will also be pushing your RAM's FSB the same amount simultaniously, because of 1:1 divider).

Just keep in mind you'll have to push up the CPU's voltage a little, you can go to 1.4v pretty safely as long as you keep an eye on your temps and stay under 68C load. Some folks say 70C but that is pushing thermal spec of the Wolfdales. An aftermarket CPU cooler is a necessity for overclocking, something with heatpipes and 120mm fan size would be great.

Since at 1:1 you should be able to push the FSB to 532 and be safe with the RAM, but honestly you might hit 'the wall' for that CPU around 450-480Mhz on air cooling. Start with as little CPU voltage increases as you need to stay stable while stress-testing, and once you find your limit (ie bluescreens and no more voltage adjustments help it) I always cut back on the fsb 5-10% to stay fully usable.

Then you can start tweaking your memory dividers to get closer to the RAM's max ratings. Lets say you're happy at 450Mhz FSB, you could go with the 1:1.2 divider to get 540Mhz on the RAM (if your board has that divider setting). 450 x 1.2 = 540Mhz which is a little over it's ratings but if it passes memtest and has good chips it should handle it quite easily. Before you attempt any of this make sure your power supply is a good brand, high amps on the 12v+ rail. Good luck and I hope I didn't confuse you out of ever trying lol! :laugh:

You want tRC to be as low as possible and it should be based on the other settings.

tRC = tRAS + tRP

Nah, I'm not interested in doing any real over clocking.

Is the FSB : DRAM at 5:8 fine?

Yes, it is right. According to the CPU-Z screenshot the fsb of the CPU and RAM are at stock values.

8 / 5 = 1.6
1.6 * 333 = 532.8

Hi, http://shysave.com/?said=t12
I posted this over at the OCZ forums but I'll post here as well in hopes of a quicker response time hehe....

I just upgraded my motherboard, cpu, ram (AMD 4400+, PC3200 ddr400 to Intel e8400, PC8500 DDR21066) and I noticed that my values don't seem to read 'as advertised'. I've messed around a bit in the bios with different things (after doing hours of research) but I'm still not sure if I'm setting values correctly. I'm not looking to overclock it a huge amount but I'd at least like to get the optimum values for the CPU and RAM with the best settings possible.
I've managed to change a few settings successfully but the others I'm not so sure about changing or whether not anything else needs to be changed at all.

The following screenshots should help:

1. A screenshot of memtest (no errors)

2. CPU Values from CPU-Z (If I understand correctly... Core Voltage, Core Speed, Multiplier fluctuate depending on loads)

3. Motherboard Info from CPU-Z

4. Memory Info from CPU-Z (Are the FSB : DRAM values ok?)

5. SPD Info from CPU-Z

6. BIOS Screenshot - AI Tweaker Part I

7. BIOS Screenshot - AI Tweaker Part II

8. BIOS Screenshot - AI Tweaker Part III

9. BIOS Screenshot - Advanced

Thanks for your help!

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back