Help with a simple network

jodders

OSNN Newbie
hi guys,

I am a beginner at this networking thing.I have done some networking before,but I am trying to learn new things.

My current situation is this. I have two computers, one Windows XP (P4 3.5GHz) and the other Windows 98(455Mhz). I know for a fact that the router works fine because when i connect my XP computer via an ethernet port,i can surf straight away.

I have installed a USB adapter which came with my router onto my Win98 machine and it works fine. The USB adapter picks up the router which is a good sign.

The problem I am having is that even though the USB adapter picks up the signal from the router, there is no internet connection on my Win98 machine which is baffling.The Windows XP computer works fine with the router.

Why is this? I have tried pinging websites from the Win98 machine and it fails.

Your help would be appreciative.
kind regards
Jonathan

when you say you installed the usb adaptor, do you mean to say that this router connects via usb? if not please explain.

To be honest if it is just a regular router with RJ45 ports (the ones that look like phone jacks), i would just buy a network card for the 98 machine if it doesn't have one. This will probably help you solve your issue or see below first.

MAKE SURE THAT TCP/IP IS INSTALLED ON THE 98 MACHINE. THIS COULD BE THE ISSUE.

lancer said:
when you say you installed the usb adaptor, do you mean to say that this router connects via usb? if not please explain.

To be honest if it is just a regular router with RJ45 ports (the ones that look like phone jacks), i would just buy a network card for the 98 machine if it doesn't have one. This will probably help you solve your issue or see below first.

Sorry for being unclear........the router doesnt connect via usb. On the Win98 machine,is a USB network card adapter that came with the router. The router is connected to the modem. The router is both wireless and you can also connect RJ45s. Im trying to get the Win98 machine to work with the wireless router.........:crosseyed:

lancer said:
MAKE SURE THAT TCP/IP IS INSTALLED ON THE 98 MACHINE. THIS COULD BE THE ISSUE.

TCP/IP is installed on the 98 machine............

Did the USB wireless adapter come with a set of Windows 98 drivers?

Windows XP will auto install most anything these days but Windows 98 needs specific drivers installed. If there were no 98 drivers check the Router manufacturers web site they may have some.

A wireless USB adapter into a Windows 98 machine may get tricky. Best to have the manuafcaturers drivers. Post the router brand and we can help you look for drivers.

hey guys,thanks for the help...there were drivers on the cd,so i used them....the router is US.ROBOTICS, http://www.usr.com/support/5422/5422-ug/three.html

I dont think its the router........i think its something to do with DHCP.....and all that "STUFF"..haha

I think the main aim is to get win98 working with the router...........Do you think that there could be a confliction between the winxp and win98 at the same time?

Also,it shouldnt matter if 1 computer is connected via ethernet and the other by wireless right?

thanks guys

do you have dhcp enabled, if not enable it and set the network configs on both machines to automatic.

This really should be pain free not sure why its not.

If all else fails un-install all componants and start again, carefully installing each part.

There is no problem running wired and wireless LAN off the same router. I do it.

If you set DHCP on then it's a problem in the 98 network set up for that wireles uSB adapter.

what leejand said can be correct. But i've set up a wireless network with 39 clients connected and of those 39 25 have been win98, and 9 where win2000, and i didn't have any problems at all using dhcp.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back