help with a 17-inch LCD

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
I'm looking for a 17" LCD display for Christmas. My budget is $300-400. Here is my understanding so far concerning displays.
1) DPI: the lower the better (.25 or less is good)
2) Response: the lower the better (25 or less is good)
3) Refresh: 75+ MHZ is good
4) Ratio: 500:1 is good
5) For newer LCDs, there is little difference between analog and DVI

First off, is this information correct? If so, based on that, what monitors are out there that meet the requirements and my budget? And is there anything else that I need to know? Thanks for the help.

1) dpi isn't important since it's only a calculation of it's native resolution and size. so instead, find a resoltion you want to use a lot (1024x768, 1280x1024) and then figure out how many inches you want it to be.
2) true. lower the better. but certainly don't trust manufacturer's numbers. looks for a review of the lcd, preferably being compared to other lcds.
3) refresh rate isn't a factor with lcd's. there is no refresh flash like with crts. 60hz will look fine.
4) again, a higher contrast ratio is better. but again, don't trust manufaturer's numbers.
5) dvi is always better. lcds are digital displays so you want a digital connection so the picture quality isn't degraded through the analog vga connection.

I will most likely set my resolution to 1280x1024, so what should I be looking for?

Considering the specs, that monitor didn't get quite the feedback that I expected. The main problem I am noticing is that I will have to sacrifice something on account of my budget. LCDs with DVI seem to be significantly more, which is why I'm not really looking for that. Still, I want a great-looking monitor in the end.

Originally posted by muzikool
Considering the specs, that monitor didn't get quite the feedback that I expected. The main problem I am noticing is that I will have to sacrifice something on account of my budget. LCDs with DVI seem to be significantly more, which is why I'm not really looking for that. Still, I want a great-looking monitor in the end.
yeah, specs shouldn't be totally relied on. at least manufacturer specs on lcd's.

here's a search i did on newegg.com with "1280" as the search criteria for lcd's (for 1280x1024), and sorted by price. it'll help you find some lcd's that are in your price range, even though you don't have to buy from there. if you can't find anything good in your price range i suggest going to 1024x768. just check out reviews before buying anything.

Originally posted by grimman
Why not TFT? Am I missing out on something here?
actually, you are...
they're the exact same thing. :p

Thanks for the newegg suggestion, I did check that site out. I have narrowed my search and found the Samsung Syncmaster 175v. My local BestBuy carries it, and so I was able to see it first-hand. The only thing is that I can't find a review of this model on ZDNet or anywhere else for that matter. But based on reviews of previous Samsung models, I feel like I'm pretty safe with this one. Still, I'd like to get any feedback on it from here. Thanks!

Well, I found reviews on ggole for you but they are all french or south american... They might have marketed it out side the US first. DO a search on google and then select the translate option. I tried a few but the translator function wasn't working too well.

Tomshardware had reviews if the 171 and 172 but I didn't see anything on the 175.

Yeah, I came across the same thing... reviews for the 171 and 172. Those are the reviews that I was going off of. I did a Google search but didn't come up with any foreign sites... maybe I need to change that option? Thanks, I'll check it out.

Originally posted by muzikool
The only thing is that I can't find a review of this model on ZDNet or anywhere else for that matter. But based on reviews of previous Samsung models, I feel like I'm pretty safe with this one.
hopefully the lack of reviews means it new.

since all samsung lcd's are decent, i don't think it would disappoint.

Originally posted by taurus
hopefully the lack of reviews means it new.

That's what I'm thinking. I haven't decided on this one for sure, but right now it's looking pretty good.

Originally posted by taurus
actually, you are...
they're the exact same thing. :p

Allow me to doubt that. But please, do make your case. =)

Originally posted by grimman
Allow me to doubt that. But please, do make your case. =)
every lcd monitor i've ever seen uses the same "TFT Active Matrix" technology or something with "TFT" in the name. are there others?

TFT Active Matrix is a type of LCD screen that allows you to view the screen from different angles. Most laptops now have TFT displays, but some still do not, and many older laptops won't. Those displays become darker as you move away from being centered in front the screen. People sitting or standing next to you would have a difficult time reading what is on the screen if it wasn't a TFT display. As for desktop LCDs, I haven't seen one that doesn't have an Active Matrix display. I'm sure that some of the first ones didn't, though.

And my questions is :
25ms will be enought for multimedia experience ? ( games - movies and so on ) :eek:

I am personally looking for 20ms or less, and I don't play games.

I have a HP 1825 TFT anyway, 18"... don't know the specs, but it's good enough for gaming. =)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back