help with a 17-inch LCD

The older laptops and stuff use "passive matrix" technology i think, at least thats what i read in this toshiba brochure.

Originally posted by muzikool
TFT Active Matrix is a type of LCD screen that allows you to view the screen from different angles. Most laptops now have TFT displays, but some still do not, and many older laptops won't. Those displays become darker as you move away from being centered in front the screen. People sitting or standing next to you would have a difficult time reading what is on the screen if it wasn't a TFT display. As for desktop LCDs, I haven't seen one that doesn't have an Active Matrix display. I'm sure that some of the first ones didn't, though.
sure, really old lcd technology is different. but i'm still waiting on grimman to get back to me on what he was thinking of...

Originally posted by grimman
Why not TFT? Am I missing out on something here?

Originally posted by Cosmin
And my questions is :
25ms will be enought for multimedia experience ? ( games - movies and so on ) :eek:
1 second = 1000 milliseconds (ms)
1000/25 = 40 full frames per second

ideally you want about 16ms, which would allow 60 full ghost-free images a second. but 25ms is still good. just make sure that's a real number and not a what the manufacturer is giving you.

Is there an easy to way to test the real response time?

Originally posted by taurus
sure, really old lcd technology is different. but i'm still waiting on grimman to get back to me on what he was thinking of...

Wasn't thinking of anything... I just didn't know. =)

Is there an easy to way to test the real response time?

i'll talk from experience .. before puchasing my TFT Samsung I've also told them something about what you've asked .. They showed me the reality by testing on it some movies & 3D Mark 2001 . 25ms is surelly enought .. i think :eek: , haven't noticed something unusual ..
have you decided on the brand ? :eek:

Thanks for the info Cosmin. It's probably between Samsung and Dell, leaning towards Samsung. I'm considering Dell because there's a possibility that I can get a discount through my school. I don't even know who actually makes the hardware for Dell anyhow... I'm thinking it might be Sony? Anyhow, this thread and a couple of others have been really helpful, and I've learned quite a bit about all this recently. :)

Sony = 0 dead pixels​

Sony monitors are great ( my classmate has one ) but are a bit expensive :eek:

Yeah, I'd like to get a Sony, but they are too expensive.

The difference for a Sony from Samsung ( 15'' - cheapest ) is almost 120Euro here ( not so much for a " long life monitor " ) ..

Samsung's 3-year warranty is probably worth at least another $100, but it's included in the purchase price. That's really attractive.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back