help winxp repair install blue screen

E

eva2000

I just moved all my hardware into a new casing and when i started up, winxp pro couldn't recognise my SMC 1211 series network card although it could before on the same winxp pro OS.

So i played around with drivers etc and then on one reboot I got

hal.dll missing or corrupted

so i did a search for solutions such as using recovery console to repair the windows installation and then went and typed in recovery console mode

system32\config
ren system system.old
copy c:\windows\repair\system

EXIT

and rebooted but still got hall.dll missing or corrupted

so i tried the winx pro setup cd and went to do a repair installation which rebooted me and launched into the setup/repair screen then immediately i got a blue screen saying

NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS error

tried rebooting several times and it always loads into the setup/repair screen and then immediately the blue screen error above

My system was previously overclocked but brought back to defaults prior to even moving my pc parts into the new case... system is as follows

Pentium 4 1.6A Northwood 512k cache
- Cooljag 565c 70x25mm 6000 rpm fan
- Gigabyte 8SRX SiS 645X chipset
- 2 x 512MB Corsair XMS2700 DDR ram
- 64MB Gainward GF3 Ti200 AGP
- 1.44MB FDD
- 2 x Lian Li RH58 Aluminium tray removable drive bays w/ 2 x 40mm cooling fans
- 80GB Seagate Barracuda IV 7200 RPM on Promise UltraATA100 controller primary master
- 15 GB QUANTUM LM 7200 RPM HDD on Promise UltraATA100 controller secondary master
- Hercules Fortissimo II PCI sound
- Pioneer DVD 16X 106s
- Sony 8x/4x/32x 140E CD-RW
- Just Cooler FC-900L
- PixelView PlayTV Pro FM TV Tuner Card with remote
- SMC 10/100 NIC
- Generic 120W speakers
- Atlas201S Aluminium Mid tower case Topower 520 watt GOLD dual fan PSU
- 2 x sunon 80mm 42cfm fans above PSU
- 1 x sunon 80mm 42cfm fans attached to Zalman fan bracket over PCI slots
- APC BackUPS ES 500VA
- WinXP Pro

I did create a restore point prior to playing around with the drivers and before all my problems came to be, but for the life of me I can't get into winxp just once to restore to that point :(

Any guidance and help is very much appreciated

What do you mean by 'case?' Just the power supply and the case itself is new?

hal.dll has to do with acpi/power management.

Pull everthing except what you need to boot... right down to bare minimum on ram. Once you get it to boot, start adding things until you find your culprit.

hal.dll missing or corrupt is no longer the main problem but the blue screen message saying

NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS error is :(

i've removed all no essential hardware such as network card, tv tuner card, sound card etc and still when i boot up the computer it goes into windows repair installation mode (i see it's on the install windows step) and then the above error occurs :(

if it's hardware issue do you think i could pop the drive into another system ?

The NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS is a driver issue... you should be able to boot up into safe mode. What driver and why i don't know... i have this problem myself and i haven't yet learned how to reconcile it because there's no XP related 'fixes' for it at the knowledge base. My suggestion would be to boot up into safe mode, copy what you don't want to lose and then do a clean installation. I wish I had a better answer for you.

thanks Lonman for your help so far :)

unfortunately when i boot into safe mode it says

Windows setup unable to run in safe mode restarting computer

so right now whenever i boot up windows is dead set on doing the windows repair installation that i asked it to... anyway of cancelling a repair installation ?

the drive that has winxp pro on it is NTFS formatted for C:\ and partitioned with D, E, F, G with FAT32

would i be able to put this drive into another system as slave drive and using another OS win98se or winxp pro on my other pc to copy data off it ? or would win98se not see the NTFS partition only winxpro on my other pc ?

You should be able to boot directly to your cd... do a new installation... delete/recreate/format your c: partition and install to it again. Even though you delete your primary partition, everything in your extended partition is safe (you can even delete/recreate it with fdisk)... I've done this myself and it works a treat.

You're correct, without third party support in Win98 it won't recognize an ntfs partition.

Originally posted by Lonman
You should be able to boot directly to your cd... do a new installation... delete/recreate/format your c: partition and install to it again. Even though you delete your primary partition, everything in your extended partition is safe (you can even delete/recreate it with fdisk)... I've done this myself and it works a treat.

You're correct, without third party support in Win98 it won't recognize an ntfs partition.
thanks... i decided to do what you suggested and delete and recreate the C drive and reinstall winxp

luckily most of my data is on D,E,F,G drives

reinstalling apps is a pain wish i had done a Ghost image prior to this but i didn't have enough disk space to hold the image anyway :(

The installation is going ok then?

I hear ya... live and learn type thing... I've lost a few gig of stuff myself.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back