Help: System Idle Process stuck at 0%

kriegman@aol.com

OSNN One Post Wonder
I have been desperately searching for a solution to a problem that hopefully someone here can help with.

Recently, and this never happened before, the System Idle Process (SIP) CPU usage---which normally hangs around at the 90 - 97% range---is ALWAYS at 0. The System CPU usage (the line above the SIP in Task Manager), on the other hand, is always around 95 to 99% except when other programs need cpu time and then that is reduced accordingly. Most programs work, apparently normally. (WordPerfect doesn't load.) But the fan on my laptop is always on high because of the constant cpu usage at 100%. Memory (RAM) usage appears normal. (Except SIP is using 16K; is that normal?)

It's as if the computer is confused and is giving all the uneeded cpu time to System instead of SIP. Or rather it is like System is stuck in some low priority infinite loop and will give up cpu time to other programs, but grabs back any available idle time for its endless processing task.
Also, I cannot turn off the computer without holding the power button in for several seconds. It will not Shutdown or Restart, getting stuck on a screen that says "Windows is shutting down." It goes "halfway" into Standby: the fan slows down and the screen goes dark, but the fan and HD continue to spin.

I tried turning off all services (except the rpc and rpc locator, the dcom server, and system restore), unchecked all startup programs and rebooted without the system.ini or win.ini loading at startup. Same problem.

I ran system restores to earlier points when I know the problem was not occurring.

I did a check of the protected windows system files and a chkdsk. No problems noted.

I ran a virus scan (Norton) and Spyware software (Spybot). No viruses. A number ofspyware cookies were removed. No change.
And I did numerous other things that were suggested at various places on the web. To no avail.

I have a 1.9 ghz Athlon laptop w 40g HD and 1g of RAM running XP Home with SP2.

Any ideas? Please help.

Dan

this is a tough one...his "system" is taking all the cpu's, he's added no hardware or software since this started, and obviously his fan is going 100%

he's going to burn out the processor if he can't find out wut's up.

I can't figure it out

kriegman@aol.com said:
I have been desperately searching for a solution to a problem that hopefully someone here can help with.

Recently, and this never happened before, the System Idle Process (SIP) CPU usage---which normally hangs around at the 90 - 97% range---is ALWAYS at 0. The System CPU usage (the line above the SIP in Task Manager), on the other hand, is always around 95 to 99% except when other programs need cpu time and then that is reduced accordingly. Most programs work, apparently normally. (WordPerfect doesn't load.) But the fan on my laptop is always on high because of the constant cpu usage at 100%. Memory (RAM) usage appears normal. (Except SIP is using 16K; is that normal?)

It's as if the computer is confused and is giving all the uneeded cpu time to System instead of SIP. Or rather it is like System is stuck in some low priority infinite loop and will give up cpu time to other programs, but grabs back any available idle time for its endless processing task.
Also, I cannot turn off the computer without holding the power button in for several seconds. It will not Shutdown or Restart, getting stuck on a screen that says "Windows is shutting down." It goes "halfway" into Standby: the fan slows down and the screen goes dark, but the fan and HD continue to spin.

I tried turning off all services (except the rpc and rpc locator, the dcom server, and system restore), unchecked all startup programs and rebooted without the system.ini or win.ini loading at startup. Same problem.

I ran system restores to earlier points when I know the problem was not occurring.

I did a check of the protected windows system files and a chkdsk. No problems noted.

I ran a virus scan (Norton) and Spyware software (Spybot). No viruses. A number ofspyware cookies were removed. No change.
And I did numerous other things that were suggested at various places on the web. To no avail.

Any ideas? Please help.

Dan

Remove half the ram, way tooooo much.

i am having the same problem on my desktop.

sip 0% all the times

my hijackthis log file :

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:52:33 AM, on 5/21/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee\MCAFEE~1\MssSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\progra~1\mcafee\MCAFEE~1\MssCli.exe
C:\WINDOWS\PowerS.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\eLitecore\Cyberoam Client for 24Online\CyberoamClient.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Popup Manager - {08E74C67-99A6-45C7-94DA-A397A8FD8082} - C:\Program Files\Popup Manager\PopupMgr_1.0.2.1P.dll
O2 - BHO: IeCatch2 Class - {A5366673-E8CA-11D3-9CD9-0090271D075B} - C:\PROGRA~1\FLASHGET\jccatch.dll
O3 - Toolbar: FlashGet Bar - {E0E899AB-F487-11D5-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\PROGRA~1\FLASHGET\fgiebar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [_AntiSpyware] c:\progra~1\mcafee\MCAFEE~1\MssCli.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PowerS] C:\WINDOWS\PowerS.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: 24Online Client.lnk = C:\Program Files\eLitecore\Cyberoam Client for 24Online\CyberoamClient.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download All by FlashGet - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\jc_all.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download using FlashGet - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\jc_link.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://D:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: FlashGet - {D6E814A0-E0C5-11d4-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\PROGRA~1\FLASHGET\flashget.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &FlashGet - {D6E814A0-E0C5-11d4-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\PROGRA~1\FLASHGET\flashget.exe
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\YAHOO!\MESSEN~1\YPAGER.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\YAHOO!\MESSEN~1\YPAGER.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Literati - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/clients/y/tt3_x.cab
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Pool 2 - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/clients/y/pote_x.cab
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcinsctl/en-us/4,0,0,84/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061001/housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/msnmessengersetupdownloader.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcgdmgr/en-us/1,0,0,21/mcgdmgr.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{0006F810-CBD9-4005-A8EB-879106B911F9}: NameServer = 172.20.0.1,202.91.67.2
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{0006F810-CBD9-4005-A8EB-879106B911F9}: NameServer = 172.20.0.1,202.91.67.2
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{0006F810-CBD9-4005-A8EB-879106B911F9}: NameServer = 172.20.0.1,202.91.67.2
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: McAfee AntiSpyware Real-Time Scanner (McAfeeAntiSpyware) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\progra~1\mcafee\MCAFEE~1\MssSrv.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe

finally i've managed to find the solution.... its nothing wrong with the software, it was the heat that was doing it... i got an a/c installed in the room and its working fine now.

the tempratures i was previously working were close to 35-40 deg C.

don't know how mechanical you are, but i'd also suggest opening up the lappy and giving it a good blow out with some compressed air.

kriegman@aol.com said:

Any ideas? Please help.

Dan

If your laptop is under warrenty right now you may want to consider contacting the manufacturer and sending it in to get them to check it over and find out what's wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back