Help setting up a network -- Please help

• Thread starter PlagueWielder
  • Start date
P

PlagueWielder

Hey
Im getting a 750kb ADSL in 2 weeks and I have 4 computers at home so Im setting up a home network. I already have all the cables and everything. My question is whether to get a Hub or a Router (and which brand is good).

Is there a difference in routers or hubs for gaming and dling??

And I heard that my speed would get divided to all the computers, is that true?? and how can I avoid it??

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by SmokingWeed3000
My question is whether to get a Hub or a Router (and which brand is good).
Router. If you use a hub one of the computers must act as a router (which means it need two NIC:s and has to be on all the time). A router is much easier. Just plug in and connect the other computers (plus some small configuration of the router). Linksys, Netgear and D-Link are good. The new D-Links have 10/100 Mbps on the WAN port as well (DI-604, DI-704) as opposed to normal 10 Mbps.
And I heard that my speed would get divided to all the computers, is that true?? and how can I avoid it??
Yes it's true. No you can't. Sorry.

Hope it helps! :)

Zedric is on the money with his responce.

Here is good reading on Networking to help you get more familiar with the topic......

Have fun and ask questions, keep us posted on the progress please......

:happy:

thanks

Im gonna get a router and basically connect everything to it, right?
is there anything wrong with this setup??

thanks again

nope nothing wrong. remember that you have to change some settings in the router and in windows. like ip, passwords, and in windows workgroup, printer sharing and shared docs.

Originally posted by sboulema
remember that you have to change some settings in the router and in windows. like ip, passwords, and in windows workgroup, printer sharing and shared docs.

what do u mean IP's, passwords and settings in the router and windows?? can u explain more about this??

a freind told me that my main comp (XP PRO) will make a network disk that Ill have to run on every computer and that it will automatically set up my network. is that true??

now about firewalls, which one should i use?? i know zone alarm isnt very good, and what about the built in one that xp has??

thanks and sorry for all these questions

dont be sorry to ask questions thats the whole point of the forum. You will have to tell youre router your login name and password your isp gave you. So that the router has a connection to the internet. And yes XP has a wizard which can set evrything up for you and make the disk, but i like to do things myself. And about the firewall. most routers have a built-in firewall, i use norton firewall 2003

thanks a lot for all yr help

btw, is this a good router:

Linksys EtherFast 4-Port Cable/DSL Router
Model: BEFSR41 ??

Yes, that router is very popular among the people on this forum, so you can easily get help. It's very easy to set up (like the others I mentioned). I have a D-Link 704P and it took about 5 mins to get going. The Linksys should be in the same league.

I believe if you get a switch, then the bandwidth will not get shared between the PC's. I could be wrong though..

You are wrong. :)

What you are thinking about is that a switch has higher throughput than a hub. Therefore the 10 or 100 Mbit won't be shared by the connected computers since the switch can handle more than 10 or 100 Mbit total. Each computer will get 10 or 100 Mbps. In this case it's the bandwidth of the Internet connection. That has to be shared among the computers, there's no way around it.

Btw, the Linksys BEFSR41 has a built-in 4-port switch.

yup very good im using a Linksys wireless 4 port router and its the easiest thing ive ever setup so your goin to like that i didnt even have to use my isp name on it its really easy to setup took me bout 5 min with the wireless computer also so have fun with it and if you have any problems just lets us know

Originally posted by SmokingWeed3000
Is that a good or a bad thing?
Good. That makes it possible for you to hook up up to 4 computers to it without additional hubs or switches.

Hey
Im back again.

Is the D-Link 704P Router good?? My dad was just looking at it so I think it might be this one or the Linksys BEFSR41.

thanks

Yeah the DI-704P good. Has a nice firewall. Beats the cr*p out of my old Linux router, but that could have been my fault... *whistle*
My web interface doesn't work most of the time, but I'm having mine replaced and afaik it's not a general problem. I'm happy with it!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back