Help setting up a 7820N All-in-one...

mlakrid

OSNN BASSMASTER
Political Access
I have tried and tried and tried to setup my wifes all-in-one printer/copier/fax from Brother.

It is the 7820N model, and the CD that was with it was corrupted.

I tried using the setup file downloaded from their website and it does not work as advertised...

It is located here:
http://welcome.solutions.brother.co...=mfc7820n_all&type2=1&os=7&flang=English&dlid=

with this as the display:

Drivers/Windows®XP Home/Professional

Full Driver & Software Package

Language Version Size Release Date File EnglishB141.59MB10/31/2006More Information

If I manually set it up, it acts as thought the setup was completed; however, I am still not able to get it working.

It works fine if I plug it directly into my wife's computer, but not if it is plugged into my router...

If anyone has any ideas Im all ears...

Mike A!

How are you plugging it into your router? If you are using a usb port, then most cases all you will be able to do with it is print and nothing else. In order to use all functions it has to be directly hooked up to the pc.

I had the same issue with a lexmark all in one that was connected to my router. Although the router had a built in print server, that is all I could with the all in one, just print ... then in order for that to work, I had to install the printer on all pc's on my network ...

How are you plugging it into your router? If you are using a usb port, then most cases all you will be able to do with it is print and nothing else. In order to use all functions it has to be directly hooked up to the pc.

Not using USB...
According to both the users manual and the website you are supposed to be able to connect the printer directly to your router (via Cat5 cable from the nic), and access all functions from anywhere on the network, which is how I am trying to hook it up... So far no Joy... :dead:
I am wondering if there is a manual setup on the printer to enter an IP address, but if so, I have not found it.

I had the same issue with a lexmark all in one that was connected to my router. Although the router had a built in print server, that is all I could with the all in one, just print ... then in order for that to work, I had to install the printer on all pc's on my network ...

The last line is what I am trying to do with no luck as stated above...

GRR...

Mike A!

Ok start by removing all the Brother software. Now make sure you have the printer connected to the router and either specify an IP address (preferred) or login to the router and determine the IP address. Either a static IP or a static lease (if your router supports it) is recommended as an IP change will mess it up later on.

Now start the install, it should give you an option to automatically detect the printer or to specify it's IP address. Choose the latter and enter the IP address from above.

Now finish the install and that should hopefully be it. I have 2 Brother Multi-Functions (Brother MFC-8460N and Brother MFC-420CN) and that's how I set them up. My printer's IP are 192.168.10.12 and 192.168.10.11 respectively.

Click the My Network link in my sig if your curious as to how my network is setup.

Last edited:
when you set it up on your other pc's are you selecting network connection install instead of directly ??

Ok start by removing all the Brother software. Now make sure you have the printer connected to the router and either specify an IP address

This is exactly the info I was looking for but can not find out how to specify the IP address I want to use...

Thanks!

Mike A!

Look in your router settings for attached devices. It should tell you in there ...

This menu has nine sections: Boot Method, IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, Node Name, WINS Config, WINS Server, DNS Server and APIPA.
BOOT Method
1 Press Menu/Set, 5, 1, 1.
2 Press ? or ? to select Auto, Static, RARP, BOOTP or DHCP.
3 Press Menu/Set.
4 Press Stop/Exit.
You should be able to set the IP address here from the printer menu
The link below links to the network setup Manual for the printer. (Section 3)
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/us/us/en/doc/manual_index.html?reg=us&c=us?=en?=mfc7820n_all&type2=6&flang=English&dlid=

NEWS!!!

I got it to work...

Ok so it is not as easy as they make it sound... For one... you HAVE to put that device as part of your DHCP exemption... so since the router is setup as .1 ... I put the printer as .2

THEN, I used the setup... entered the same IP... and THEN, I simply added the printer, as normal for a networked printer...

WEEE!!! I can print from all PCs in the house now... FINALLY...

THanks Guys!

Mike A!

Cool, you got it to work. Now how long till you get a real one, like a Hp office jet ?? lol :p

Congrats mlakrid.

Cool, you got it to work. Now how long till you get a real one, like a Hp office jet ?? lol :p

Pfft HP. I love Brother printers!

Here's proof:

Attachments

• Printers.jpg
    Printers.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 122

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back