help!!! problems!! plz

M

MikeWilson

I just bought a new processor/motherboard/memory for my pc to upgrade it.
My specs for the new machine thats now built are:

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
ABit AT7 Motherboard
Radeon 8500 64mb
512 ddr memory
SB! Live 5.1 Soundcard
PCI Ethernet Card
LG 32x Burner
16xDVD-Rom
300w power supply
Microsoft Mouse+Keyboard
17" Monitor
Windows XP Home Edition OS

Thats about everything but i'm having problems, my computer either restarts itself or I get a memory dump. This happens all the time, I have new xp drivers in for the hardware I have but it still happens. If I change the settings on the processor so my fsb is down so it runs as a 1800+ instead of a 2000+ it seems to work fine but I dont want it as a 1800+ I bought it for the power of a 2000+ so I want the power out of it. Also with the agp on 4x in the bios games load then crash straight to desktop, but if I set the agp to 2x games play no problem, but having a new card like a Radeon 8500 that should surely support 4x agp.
plz if someone could help I would appreciate it

thx
Mike:mad:

Your first problem is a cooling problem probably, Windows will restart if your processor becomes to hot, or if your fan is not working properly. Either buy a better fan or check to see if there's something wrong in the setup.

For your videocard problem you should check if you can run a benchmark on it to see if it really makes a difference running it at 2x or at 4x, if their is no difference just run it at 2x and you solved your problem or look at your motherboard supplier website to find new drivers.

You can also set some setting that when your computer crashes it will not restart right away, but tell you why it crashed. This can be done in System Properties.

Good Luck
Fhuising

well my cpu is running at 48-50c so that aint hot, I just want it to work properly on a 2000+ settings which it should. Also how can i tell what caused the comp to restart on memory dumps it just gives me a lot of numbers eg (0000000FD)-00000 etc doesnt give me a name of the problem causer. :mad:

should of gone for Intel! :D lol.

But I agree Fhuising, sounds like a heat issue.

if i can remember correctly, my comp halted when it got to the upper 40's.. try a better heatsink/fan first and see if it helps.

Originally posted by MikeWilson
well my cpu is running at 48-50c so that aint hot, I just want it to work properly on a 2000+ settings which it should. Also how can i tell what caused the comp to restart on memory dumps it just gives me a lot of numbers eg (0000000FD)-00000 etc doesnt give me a name of the problem causer. :mad:
Mine runs consistantly at 59-62c no problems. You might check your bios to see if you have it set to shutdown at a specific temp.

Did you do a clean installation when you upgraded?

To allow your system to display it's bsod instead of automatically restarting, go to Control Panel> system> 'advanced' tab> Startup and Recovery 'settings' button> untick 'automatically restart' under the "system failure" options. When you get your bsod(s) post your specific 'stop' codes and any named drivers/hardware it may list. Just the numbers proceeding the word "Stop: 0x00????." The numbers in brackets () are variables that really don't help (just to save time in writing them down).

If you didn't do a clean installation, then that's your first order of business... otherwise you'll probably be troubleshooting for a long time to get everything right.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back