Help please home network ?????

Shamus MacNoob

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Hi guys ok I am like a real newbie when it comes to networking, here is what I have and what I want to do , I have 3 machines all with 10/100 nics one of them has a second nic its a Gigalan 100/1000 and I have a speedstream 2 port router now I am all ready shareing the internet on 2 machines each one plugs into router from the 10/100 nics , but what I want is too set up a third machine into the machine with the 100/1000 gigalan and have them share through windows one is XP pro one is Win98 , I dont have a clue on how to set this up ..... any help would be appreciated thanks ...... :eek:

Easiest way to do it is to put a hub or prefferably a switch between the computers and the router, so the computers connect to the switch/hub and the hub is then connected to the router. The hub/swith needs no configuration - they just plug and play. Set up the third computer with the same network settings as the first two and your away.

Yes a hub would do it , but I know the Gigalan can use a rj45 straight through no need for a crossover , I just want to share files between two of the computers , the other two will connect through the router to the net, there has to be a way to do it with the 10/100 card and the 100/1000 adapter with a straight cable.

It's quite easy to do, but you would need a crossover cable.
Connect one end of a crossover cable to the 100/1000 NIC and the other end to the NIC in the computer that's not connected to the router.

Then open up Network Connections on the computer with the two NICs (lets call this computer X from now on). You should see two network adapters - the 10/100 one (call it XA) and the Gigalan one (call it XB). Let's call the other computer that isn't connected to the router Y.

Right click XB, and select Properties.
Double click "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and select "Use the following IP address."
IP address: 192.168.50.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: Leave it blank.
Hit OK.
Then click the Advanced tab and check the first box under Internet Connection Sharing. Whether you check the second box or not depends on whether you want the other computer to be able to control or disable the connection (as the option clearly states ;)) Once you're done with that, click OK.
XA should already be properly configured and connected to the router, such that A has access to the internet through XA.

Similarly, open up Network Connections on computer Y. There should be one network adapter in there. Right click it and select Properties. Double click "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and select "Use the following IP address"
IP address: 192.168.50.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.50.1
Hit OK.

Restart both the machines just to be on the safe side. When both machines have restarted, all computers should have internet access. Y's connection will be routed through X using Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).

Phewww...hope that helps :D
If you have any problems, feel free to report back in here, and we'll help you out.

Remember, using a straight-through cable to connect the two computers won't work unless there's an intermediary hub/switch/router. To directly connect two machines you would need a crossover cable.

You can subnet that network down for security purposes and use 192.168.50.9 for the IP on the first PC, the gateway, and use 255.255.255.248 for the subnet. Then you can use 192.168.50.10 - 192.168.50.14 for the client PCs IP addresses, using the 255.255.255.248 subnet and 192.168.50.9 for the gateway.

This then only allows a total of 8 PC's in the network and is done a little less conventional, so is a little more secure. :)

I like over complicating ;)

Originally posted by j79zlr
You can subnet that network down for security purposes and use 192.168.50.9 for the IP on the first PC, the gateway, and use 255.255.255.248 for the subnet. Then you can use 192.168.50.10 - 192.168.50.14 for the client PCs IP addresses, using the 255.255.255.248 subnet and 192.168.50.9 for the gateway.

This then only allows a total of 8 PC's in the network and is done a little less conventional, so is a little more secure. :)

I like over complicating ;)

That's actually a good idea for security reasons ;)

You guys are the best thanks bunches will grab a crossover tommorow on my way back from school :cool:

Will let you know how it went , was able to share printer and files over the 2 through the router but the 3rd one was odd man out and I knew there had to be a way with the Gigalan 100/1000 so crossover it is ..... thanks again guys

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back