Help! Please Help!!!!

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
:(
I am towards the end of a massive modding and computer rebuild the thing is i have hit a problem I cant seem to get around.
It wont post :(

If you reset the bios it posts and you can go in, but as soon as you save something and reboot its dead :( I have disconncected all my drives to try that, no joy tried unpluging the fans from the motherboard still no joy.
I have unlocked my CPU but i tryed my PC with just the cards in (before i refitted the drives) and it all seemed fine then.
I just dont know what to to.
Once again Help!

If the BIOS is not keeping its settings perhaps the BIOS battery is dead..?

Just a suggestion.

Also, make sure the BIOS jumper (used to reset the BIOS to its defauly values) is positioned correctly - there are usually two states it can be at so check your mobo manual.

Thanks for the suggestions but I have checked the jumper and its not that. The battery is not at fault as the bios is not resetting rather once a setting is saved in the bios it will no longer post. :(

Are you changing something in the bios then saving the change?

If so, quit changing whatever it is. The system is not compatible with that setting.

If you have changed your system config or are using a new hard drive reset the bios to safe/default/whatever your bios calls it.

Boot the system, then install all the required system drivers before trying to set any changes in bios. Advanced Bios features sometimes require drivers to be installed under windows before they will work.

If this isn't it we need more info than "I made a massive system change".

What new hardware installed has been installed.

Are you starting with a newly formatted disk.

Is it the same MB as before.

Have you changed MB but tried to reuse the old HD without reformatting (you can get away with this is the chipset is the same, if the chipsety ios different it may never boot).

As asked above are you changing the overclcoking level or processor.

The only replacement parts are fans and the cpu heatsink, the CPU is not overclocked mearly unlocked. I am debating removing the conductive paint of the CPU's Lv1 bridges anyway as I have discovered on the abit website that my cpu is the fastest my board supports anyhow. So all cards, disks etc are the same and I am not changing anything incorrect in my bios i am mearly entering the correct values after it has been reset and comes up with the checksum error. All hardware is in my sig.

Have you checked the CPU temp since you did the mod work? It may be running hotter and won't tolerate the optimum settings.

I managed to put a HSF back to gether with the spring clip on backwards once. HSF looked fine but sat ****ed on the cpu and wasn't cooling right.

If not heat, it's got to be in the bios settings then.

Try changing them back to optimum one at a time after reseting until you hit the one it won't tolerate anymore. Also you should not be getting a checksum error from the CMOS settings just because they are reset to default.

If you had messed up unlocking the CPU it would never post so that shouldn't be a worry.

Right I have it working now, just in shear frustration I scratched off the conductive paint and effectively "re-locked" the CPU, the only problem now is my PC no longer Identifys the CPU correctly. :mad:

Before It was always correctly Identified as an Athlon XP 2100+ at 1.73 ghz (I think thats right) but now.........

Its Just AMD Athlon(tm) 1.87 Ghz!!

Whats going on now ??? :confused:

I reflashed the bios with the latest vesion still no joy , also my computer has started freezing and i have to turn it off at the wall to restart it :(

Originally posted by indyjones
I reflashed the bios with the latest vesion still no joy , also my computer has started freezing and i have to turn it off at the wall to restart it :(
the reset button on the case doesn't even work?

out of intrest, remove the mobo and try a post with it on the bench, just to check for a bad grounding point or a short.

Originally posted by taurus
the reset button on the case doesn't even work?

Yeah thas the case, i used a cpu id program and it stated my cpu was a athlon XP (although still in the windows system properties it is not) although it did state my multipier at 14X! I have not set it to this it was set at 12.5X I have even tried underclocking it down to a 1900+ but to no avail.

GoNz0 its a good idea I will check for shorts athough i think it is unlikely but any suggestions are welcome its really frustrating.

Sounds like you have accidentally bridged some of the wrong jumpers. If you get conductive paint (or silver filled thermal compound) between the wrong "L" pads you can force the multiplier to an incorrect number. Or worse, yet tell the MB to set the wrong volatge for the CPU.

Clean off the top of the substrate with alchohol and a cotton swab. Make sure all the cottom fibers are gone before you put on new thermal compound and reseat the heatsink.

Get a magnifying glass and check for any signs of silver paint around all the bridges. A friend used acetone to remove the stuff (it works on super glue too) but I don't know enough about the interaction between the acetone and the material in the substrate to recommend it

When scrapping off glue or silver paint remember not to use anything metallic. Any metal scraped across a hard surface can leave metal on the surface causing a leakage path.

Take your time, use a magnifier, be careful and you should be able to clean up the processor.

Ok will try that then. Interestinly my pc did not crash last night all though i was only using trillian and browsing the web.... I did use a blade unfortunatly to clean the surface as i could not get the paint off so will try another cleaning (i already cleaned it with isoprop)

Originally posted by LeeJend
A friend used acetone to remove the stuff (it works on super glue too) but I don't know enough about the interaction between the acetone and the material in the substrate to recommend it
the substrate you speak of is a type of ceramic (conducts heat, not electricity). and acetone doesn't affect ceramics in the least. sure will clean it up easy, though.

i've worked in a chemlab. :) but isopropyl should work fine in your case and be easier/cheaper to get.

Athlons are polymer baised rather than ceramic based. Actone can damage the stability of a lot of polymers hence I used isoprop.

Originally posted by indyjones
Athlons are polymer baised rather than ceramic based. Actone can damage the stability of a lot of polymers hence I used isoprop.
oh, okay. didn't they used to be ceramic-based?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back