help overclocking athlon xp2500+

nammari

OSNN Newbie
hi guys;

i have been trying to overclock my athlon xp2500+ cpu to 2.2ghz but i am having difficulty keeping it stable i have an asus a7n8x deluxe mobo and a gigabyte 3d cooler the ram is 2*256mb hynix ddr400

i can top the multiplier to 12.5 with 166 fsb and 1.67vcore
but when i adjust the fsb to 200 or raise the vcore windows keep on restarting

i have read that this cpu has huge overclocking potential so as the motherboard. but i cant overclock it to great limits as most of the users

can anybody help please.

Try 10 x 200 with very loose timings 9 - 4 - 4 - 4 to start and vcore around 1.7 maybe 1.75 you need to try small leaps first not huge jumps.

thanks for the tip ; will sure try that;

another problem is that when i run the cpu benchmark utility cpu-Z it always gives me the default speed 166*11 it does not give me the tuned value of 12.5*166 could u please advise.

PS. the temperature is 50 degrees celcius obtained from the windows asus temperature utility that came with the MOBO.

Well the first thing I would advise is that there is a bit of a luck of the draw in terms of over-clocking. In general a CPU might have great over-clocking potential, but not all CPUs of that type will overclock as far as others.

What this means is that you could get 2 Athlon XP 2500+s, and one could over-clock to a nice degree, whereas the other doesn't overclock much at all by comparison. There is no gaurentee in terms of OCing your CPU...

BTW, if you're seeing 50 C now, and you plan on uppping the voltage (which could raise the temp a bit futher), you might want to look at the cooling on the thing. This might not be why you can't OC much further, but when you up the voltage and clock the thing should be running a bit hotter then what you're seeing now.

A better fan/sink might be in order...

Some cpu's are locked you might not be able to change the X factor , you dont want higher X its lower X and higher FSB is the goal, watch temps for sure.

Here's an article which gives some info on the OCing of the XP 2500+s, which you might want to take a look at.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q1/athlonxp-m-2500/index.x?pg=1

It looks as if AMD cherry picked the best to market for their mobile equivallents so it could achieve the same clock at a lower voltage...

BTW, if a CPU is multiplier locked, there is a way to undo this. But be forewarned; the second you take a conductive pencil to your chip and start connecting bridges, you void the warranty. Anyhow, that older method I just mentioned seems to have been defeated with the XPs. Also, if one is going to do it, use the conductive pencil where is mis-drawn trace can be erased. Care is advised, when moding a CPU...

http://www.viperlair.com/articles/archive/mods/unlockxp.shtml

BTW, I've read on other sites that the 2500+ isn't multiplier locked, so best not to just get in there and mess...

use 11 x 200 with 1.7 v or if that doest work 1.75...dont ever go over 1.75

your multiplyer doest matter as much as your fsb.....11 multi will do just fine

temps idleing around 55c is no problem

your memory timings wont matter. just use defualt 8 4 4 3

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back