Help on buying new PC.

vern

Dominus
Political Access
Hello everyone... I'm going to setup a PC ... I was thinking if you hardware gurus could help me out. I haven't set up my own PC since my old 1ghz. Up to now, I've been buying them whole. The only thing I'm sure of is getting an Athlon XP 2800+ and a Radeon 9800 or GeForceFX 5800. The rest of the parts ... I don't know what to get...

I'm using the following page as the basis for my setup... http://arstechnica.com/guide/system/hotrod.html

I will be getting an AthlonXP 2800+ and a Radeon 9800 Pro (or GeForceFX 5800, still undecided) though ... and I'm not sure if all the parts will be fit well with my changes. I'm getting everything OEM. If you think that something needs to be changed. Tell me. I'm already looking for e-tailers to order from.

if you go for the fx, i'd try to get the 5900ultra as it has a revised core and requires less extreme cooling than the 5800. plus it's just fast as hell. but the 9800pro is a good card, too... and cheaper, i think.?

but one of your most important purchases will be your motherboard. you know what chipset you want to go with? what features you want/need?

Motherboard - personally id buy the Abit nForce 2 revision 2.0 or anything from Asus - there always a good bet.

Memory - Crosair if you can afford it, crucial if you want value for money.

CPU (uk only i think) - if your feeling adventureous go to www.cpucity.com buy the Athlon XP1700 with the stepping AHUIB (i think) guaranteed to 2700Xp for 45 quid. Friend just got one has it at 2800 stable - i.e. 3dmark2001 for 24hrs.

GFX card - personally 9800Pro from Crucial - 290 quid or $399 US, or got to www.hardocp.com or www.anandtech.com they both have reviews on the two compared.

HDD - Maxtor or Western Digital - size your choice 120Gb 100ish quid.

CDRW - Lite-On or Plextor if youve got the cash

DVD - Same as above

Sound card - nForce has great on board sound, other wise audigy series or santa cruz (sorry dont know of any others)

That should be it for a basic package, bear in mind this is basically a system ive been thinking of putting together my self and i based on my opinion of which parts to buy. Good Luck!

OTE

Originally posted by taurus
if you go for the fx, i'd try to get the 5900ultra as it has a revised core and requires less extreme cooling than the 5800. plus it's just fast as hell. but the 9800pro is a good card, too... and cheaper, i think.?

but one of your most important purchases will be your motherboard. you know what chipset you want to go with? what features you want/need?

:: vidcard:: 9800 Pro cheaper .. >> recommended
:: motherboard based chipset:: Nforce 2 or 3 ( as will appear ) >> recommended

Originally posted by taurus

That is what I am really having trouble deciding on. I don't know if the MB that they recommedn on Ars Technica will support AthlonXP 2800+. I'm thinking instead of an Epox MB ... to go with an Nforce2 MB with built in sound and NIC. OTE says Nforce2 already has great sound built in. I don't really need sound for anything special since I will be wearing headphones for the most part. On that note ... could anyone suggest good headphones? My old BOSE needs replacing.

OTE: Since you were thinking of setting a system like this up ... if you end up getting it within the next week or two, tell me what setup you come up with. I wanted to buy everything online and I will be moving back to the US in two weeks ... so it'd be useful if you could tell me where you got your parts online if they deliver to the US. You could PM me if this topic goes away.

Thanks ... as always. NTFS forum members always have great constructive input.

headphones - why ? that system should step on a higher sound level .. ;) ..
my first ideea was a receiver but ..

I don't mind good sound. But I'll probably be bring this PC to a dorm or apartment since the university I'm transferring to is around two hours drive from home. I don't think everyone will appreciate my idea of good sound. I also don't want to spend money on speakers where the environment will never come close to doing it justice.

Originally posted by vern
I don't mind good sound. But I'll probably be bring this PC to a dorm or apartment since the university I'm transferring to is around two hours drive from home. I don't think everyone will appreciate my idea of good sound. I also don't want to spend money on speakers where the environment will never come close to doing it justice.

:)

I hear you... I am putting off buying my THX speakers for many months since my plantronics headset is EXCELLENT and my gf is not bothered when I play games or watch tv or something like that... she is a student just like me :) and she is living with me @ the moment... so that is a recommended buy... plantronics headphones...

the bass and the microphone clarity is quite excellent :)

btw... when you are looking for video card reviews... I would not advise looking up the reviews from anandtech for the last iterations of the 5800/5900 or the 9800pro cards... he benchmarked incorrectly and has... at least till 2 days ago... not updated the benches to reflect the correct data... or information...

:)

I love zalman heatsinks @ the moment... they are heavier but they are amazingly quiet and cool :) my rig runs @ 34C right now :)

sound card... if you buy the nforce2 deluxe edition from asus or other maker with onboard soundstorm capability it is as good as most sound cards and will save you around $100-150 easily in THAT purchase...

Vern it will most likely be about a months time, gotta wait till next pay check. I think for the US crucial for memory and newegg.com are the best and cheapest places to buy. Alot of the sites i look at are UK based so i would have thought shipping to US might be expensive.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back