Help needed to stop pc from freezing, when online.

BIGMIKE1

OSNN Junior Addict
If I go into system properties, on the general tab, my pc reads as this: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+ 1.30 GHz, 1.00GB of RAM.
Can any one tell me why this has change from what is listed above, because it never read as (AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+ 1.30GHz) I’m nearly certain for sure that it read as (AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+ 1.30GHz) also I do think the 1.30GHz was higher than that, but I can't remember for sure.

My main problem is that whenever I’m online my pc freezes, I don’t have any problems offline so far, and sometimes it is my USB Aries optical mouse that freezes first, so I have to use my old Dell mouse which has the old type of plug on it. Which is fine till the pc freezes. If I put my pc into standby & pull it out of standby than the Aries mouse is fine, till the next time.
I can be online for a matter of mins or it could be hours before the pc freezes, there is no set time frame to this as far as I can tell. When this happens I have to restart the pc. I do get this error popping up now & again: USBSCAN DEVICELOCONTROL() ERROR CODE DIOERRORCODE=00000079.
I did manage to get this other window, which read: USB Device not recognized 1 of the USB Devices attached to this pc has malfunctioned & windows does not recognize it. I don’t have any conflicts listed on the systems properties either. I have also unplugged the Card Reader to see if it was causing this problem, but the pc is still freezing. The underlined text above I haven’t seen since I reformatted my pc, I have change the Raid from Raid1 to Raid0, because I had to keep on synchronizing the Drives all the time, sometimes as much as 4 times in one day.
Can anyone help me solve these problems that I have, the freezing side is the most important one to sort out first as I do spent a lot of time on the web, if I’m in chatting with friends on the IM services, it is a pain to keep on restarting the pc all the time.

XP3000 Midi tower Multimedia pc
Summary:
AMD Athlon XP 3000 Processor, 1Gb DDR-RAM, 2x 120Gb, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Atlantis Pro Graphics, TV Tuner Card, 8in1 Card Reader/Writer
USB 2.0, Floppy Drive, DVD-ROM, DVD Writer, NIC, 56K Analogue Modem, 4x USB 2.0.At back & 2x USB 2.0. At front, Firewire, GBLAN Win XP
Home, Wireless Keyboard & Mouse.
Specifications:
MSI KT600 Delta-FISR Socket A Motherboard, Integrated 10/100/1000Mbps NIC, Raid, Fire wire, Integrated 6.1 Channel Sound, AGP 8X Slots,
6xUSB 2.0. Integrated +2 Optional, VIA Apollo KT600 Chipset, 3x DDR-RAM Slots (PC 2100/2700/3200, Max 3Gb RAM) AMD Athlon XP 3000 Processor
OEM (Barton) 132.57 109.56
Spire CPU-Fan Whisper Rock IV Socket A SPA04B4 for AMD up to XP 3200MHz 10.77 8.90
1Gb DDR-RAM PC3200 (2X 512Mb DDR-RAM PC3200 CL 2.5 184P)
2x Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120Gb S-ATA 8Mb Cache Hard Disk Drives in Raid 1 (Mirror) This has since been changed to Raid 0 (stripping)
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Atlantis Pro 128Mb AGP 8X
TV Tuner Card, 3.5 1.44Mb Floppy Drive
16x DVD ROM, MSI DVD Recorder DR4-A IDE (1X DVD+/-RW, 40xCD/16DVD, 24xCD, 4xDVD-R

Last edited:
Even if it was a 1700+ it should read like 1.47GHz (what mine reads w/out overclocking).

BIGMIKE1 said:
If I go into system properties, on the general tab, my pc reads as this: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+ 1.30 GHz, 1.00GB of RAM.
Can any one tell me why this has change from what is listed above, because it never read as (AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+ 1.30GHz) I’m nearly certain for sure that it read as (AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+ 1.30GHz) also I do think the 1.30GHz was higher than that, but I can't remember for sure.

well the 1700+ is a FSB of 133MHZ x a multiplyer of 11 = 1.47 GHZ
The 3000+ is 200MHZ FSB x a multiplyer of 10 = 2.0ghz. * not positive on this one
but the bottom line is, your FSB setting in your bios may have changed from 166mhz to 133mhz or 200mhz to 133mhz etc. My ASUS board would do this automaticly when the boot failed, it would UNDERCLOCK the chip. This MAY have happened to you. However dont just go changing the FSB speed, as this may damage something. Find documentation on your PC and see what the CPU is supposed to be and then we can go from there.

Hope i helped

Tell us more about your modem - I am having a stab in the dark feeling there could be issues with a USB Modem here.... but then if you tell me you have a Modem/router feeding into your nic I am going to feel pretty dumb!

Oh and as regards your system info - you been playing with your BIOS? Sounds like you may have underclocked! You really should know what processor you got in that there box anyways.... :p

hey thanks i did flash my bios i'd made a back-up of the bios before i'd flashed it, but i did have to repair windows, you see i having this prob with windows security update for win xp (KB890859) Everytime that it was installed it f***ed up my pc so hence the repairs, with this in mind it might have restored my bios to a lower setting yes, i wouldn't be to sure on this thou, i hope this gives you more detail.
thanks again. mike

my modem is an internal one Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem, driver version is 2.1.51.0 the hardware id is PCI\VEN_11C1&DEV_048C&SUBSYS_044C11C1&REV_02
I hope this is of use to you. thanks

i havent read the entire post yet but have you scanned for viruses/spyware? with updated definitions. Seen then freez a computer online alot. If this has allready been said please forgive me just getting a quick response for you.

HI VenomXt, my pc is clean of all viruses & spyware, it was only last week that i reformatted, so the system is clean & upto date.

Don't assume a reformat cleans out viruses. The boot sector can still be infected and your backup or web access to update can reinfect you.
1) Make sure you have an up to date antivirus installed. AVG is free and trend micro a free online scanner. Run 2, nothing is perfect.
2) Downlaod and run the MS malicious software program (it's free)
3) Download and run adaware and spybot search and destroy.
After all that you probably can claim you have clean system.

Back to the crashing.
-If it breaks when you use the mouse stop using the mouse. It's telling you it has a problem. Search google and the mouse web site for compatibility issues.
-If you are trying to overclock and the system is unstable, stop trying to overclock.
-Any bios flash can trash your customized bios settings, or your MB for that matter. Don't flash unless you are doing it to fix a specific problem addressed by the new Bios. If it ain't broke don't screw with it. Newer is not better, it's just different.
-Security upgrades causing problems could be a sign of a virus trying to block the update.
-A windows repair may trash any special drivers. Like for a less common brand mouse. Uninstall the mouse and reinstall the drivers. You may also have to uninstall and reinstall the MB USB drivers.

Hi Leejend,
Can you tell me why eAcceleration Corp.Products such as these: eAnthology Manager, Stop-Sign Thread Scanner, Stop-Sign Popup Blocker, & Oodlz are classed as Parasites with Trend Micro.
The above list have been removed.
I'm all clean & updated with Trend Micro, AVG Free, MS Malicious, Ad-Aware SE,
Spybot SD has found these four, but it doesn't seem to be able to remove them? iI did have smileys from smileycentral, but they have been removed with Spybot SD.
FunWebProducts: Settings (Registry key, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Fun Web Products
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Fun Web Products
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\Fun Web Products
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Fun Web Products

--- Spybot - Search && Destroy version: 1.3 ---
2005-04-26 Includes\Cookies.sbi
2005-06-16 Includes\Dialer.sbi
2005-06-15 Includes\Hijackers.sbi
2005-06-09 Includes\Keyloggers.sbi
2004-11-29 Includes\LSP.sbi
2005-06-16 Includes\Malware.sbi
2005-06-09 Includes\PUPS.sbi
2005-04-27 Includes\Revision.sbi
2005-06-09 Includes\Security.sbi
2005-06-15 Includes\Spybots.sbi
2005-02-17 Includes\Tracks.uti
2005-06-15 Includes\Trojans.sbi

I'm not trying to clock my system, & i only tried to flash the Bios once, but then i still had to do a reformat so my Bios is back to default settings
I've Boot Sector Virus Protection enabled, my Bios is the Amibios new setup utility V.3.31a; buy the D MANAGER is still showing my pc as AMD XP 1700+1.30GHz,
Also i don't have any compatibilty issues that i can find on the pc, also ther are no conficks on the system which i can see.

when you reformatted did you fdisk ??

BIGMIKE1 said:
I'm not trying to clock my system, & i only tried to flash the Bios once, but then i still had to do a reformat so my Bios is back to default settings.
It's not really going to help but I just wanted to point out that formatting, or just reinstalling Windows which is what Johnny is asking, doesn't touch your BIOS. The BIOS (Basic Input-Output System) is what makes your hardware all talk together, sorta. :p Anyhoo the lesson is that it's not effected by you formating Windows but would be effected by "flashing" it as that replaces it with another copy.

BIGMIKE1 said:
sorry can you be a bit more clearer johnny.

did you delete the partition and recreate it ..

Johnny said:
did you delete the partition and recreate it ..
To put things straight, before i started to flash the bios, the once & only time i checked my bios setting against my MB user guide, ok the settings were the same as the guide. So then i flashed the bios, the next day or so i had to delete the partition & recreate it because of this particular windows update (KB890859). After i had done all of this, i'd checked the bios settings again, & they were the same settings as before i had flashed them ok, ie they were the default settings. So how do you work that one out, i still have the same probs as before, the processor is still showing the wrong settings, & i'm still at a dead end...

BIGMIKE1 said:
To put things straight, before i started to flash the bios, the once & only time i checked my bios setting against my MB user guide, ok the settings were the same as the guide. So then i flashed the bios, the next day or so i had to delete the partition & recreate it because of this particular windows update (KB890859). After i had done all of this, i'd checked the bios settings again, & they were the same settings as before i had flashed them ok, ie they were the default settings. So how do you work that one out, i still have the same probs as before, the processor is still showing the wrong settings, & i'm still at a dead end...
Your confusing your BIOS with Windows here. Your BIOS is built into your motherboard and is the same no matter what Operating System you put on your computer. This means that unless you set your BIOS up correctly your CPU is going to "show the wrong settings" under any OS you put on your computer.

As for the Windows update, what was it for that you had to reformat and install Windows?

Xie said:
Your confusing your BIOS with Windows here. Your BIOS is built into your motherboard and is the same no matter what Operating System you put on your computer. This means that unless you set your BIOS up correctly your CPU is going to "show the wrong settings" under any OS you put on your computer.

As for the Windows update, what was it for that you had to reformat and install Windows?
I will give you a brief history on about this pc, it might give ye enough info on the up’s & down’s, that I have had. I got into the habit of using system restore after getting loads of virus when I 1’st got my pc, anyway I was in the middle of a restore when I lost all power, this was a major f*** up. It took 7 hrs to put this right & for me to get back online. But in the cause of all this I lost hibernate tab, see link http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=62331 for more details. My system at the time was Raid1 mirroring, I was then told that the prob with the hibernate tad could be the graphics drivers, as my card is an ATI Sapphire Radeon 9800 Atlantis Pro 128Mb AGP 8X. So I uninstalled & put in new drivers of a different kind, they were sound that day, until I switched the pc back on the following morn’g.
The screen was all black; the upshot was they were not quite right for the g/card so I had to reinstall the original drivers to put that right. Still had no H/tab after this stage. A few months down the road, the Raid 1 kept on needing to be synchronized, sometimes as much as 4 times in 1 day.

So I backed-up some files & deleted the array & changed to Raid 0, reformatted to a clean system. The pc was faster doing stuff to, the bios was the same as before I’d changed to raid 0, I came across software, which installed the hibernating tab, when I was reinstalling all of my progs etc? So that was one prob sorted. I started up automatic updates, but I get so far with the up-dates, after I have restarted the pc, I started getting all these errors & windows would freeze, if I did a restart it would go the same way errors, than freeze, so I do a repair with windows xp disk, which sorts the problem until the up-dates start installing again, then I’m back to sq 1. I finely find this update (KB890859) was doing the freezing after windows done a restart after installing it.
So now I don’t update that up-date, pc is fine with out it. This is why I had to reformat & install windows because of this up-date.

But somewhere along the line this (AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+ 1.30GHz) has changed to this (AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+ 1.30GHz). The pc seems slower saving stuff to word now, & every time I’m online it is either a few minutes or hours before the pc freezes up again & I have to restart, this can go on all day.

So I will be eternally grateful if some one out there would know how to sort all of this mess out.
Mike….

I know this has been mentioned before but a AMD Athlon 3000+ doesnt run at 1.3GHz. My 3200 runs at 2.2GHz (desktop) and my 2400 runat at 1.78GHz (laptop) so your FSB and multiplier arent set correctly, your system is under clocked and could be why your system is freezing.

Like celticfan11 said, its probably around 2GHz.

What you need to to is to look in the motherboard's manual and check how to set the FSB and multiplier. It could either be jumpers or BIOS settings, all depends on the board.

Also found this:

http://forums.amd.com/lofiversion/index.php/t48817.html

Last edited:
There were two versions of this processor and you need to look at the label to know which one.

AXDA3000DKV4E - 2100 MHz @ 400 MHz FSB

AXDA3000DKV4D - 2167 MHz @ 333 MHz FSB

The windows OS has nothing to do with the bios. It sounds to me like you went to change the raid settings and screwed it up ..

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back