Help needed Explorer multi moniter support?

S

Stumpy

Ok , hope this is the right place for this kinda post...

I recently tried out my TV on my Gfx card for the first time , using a GF3TI200 , now I came up with the idea of using multi moniters and watching stuff on my TV from my computer whilst using my real moniter to do other things...

Anyone know how this is done in XP Proffesional ... I've looked everywhere.

Thx in advance!

Stumps

Ahh thanks for the quick reply, that explain how to do it , but I don't quite know how to add my TV as an additional moniter manually... do I do a detect new hardware then choose it from the list myself... any ideas?

heh,

well my understanding would be that you are trying to enable two MONITORS, not one monitor and your television... lol

if you are trying to output to your monitor for one application and then output tv signals to your tv, i dont know that this can be done.. you'll have to excuse my ignorance in this matter, as i do not have such a video card.

i would suspect that your card gives you the option of hooking up a tv signal source, (cable coax or rabbit ears...eeek!) to a supported port on the back of the card. then, you would output that incoming signal to an additional monitor....not tv..besides, tv's have horrible picture quality in comparison to monitors, no???

hopefully someone with more knowledge about this sort of thing will be able to chime in... unfortunately, this is one area that i cant claim any expertise...sorry....:(

you can always go to Microsoft's Knowledge Database and do a search for more info..also, go to your video card's website for more info....

good luck again.!

~n:)

If your graphics card drivers have nview then plugging in a svideo cable and attaching a TV follwed by a reboot will cause the nview wizard to kick in. just follow the instructions.

If you don't have nview I think it's in the new detonators.

thx TuMbRaS ... I guess the card can't output through both at the same time maybe.. i'll read up on the sites ... hope someone else spots the thread and helps... I mainly want to use the TV for divx's and music videos ... whilst i play games on my moniter.. main reason being one of the largest digital TV providers over here ITVDigital just closed down so i have no extra channels :mad: .... and your right, playing games on it is awful!

Thanks BB..... see, always answer away...lol... i would have never known that... cool.

:)
~n:D

ahh Bytes , i have nview running ... it has all the setups for multi virtual desktops... but i can't find where to set it to output the specific virtual desktop either through my s-video connection or the normal moniter lead... any ideas?

You don't use virtual desktops !!

Just set it to expand your desktop accross both screens. You can then move the monitors 1 and 2 around so they match the physical layout.

You can then drag an application from one window to another.

Lets say you have power dvd playing a film, make the window smaller than full screen, drag it to the other screen and then maximise.

You can do this with any application, for instance my kids have just watched shrek playing on the TV from the computer while I was playing medal of honour ( had to have MOH's sound off though :( )

Bytes : seems like I just need to get it to install the TV in devices... because i can see the place to set hot keys to move windows to different moniters, but atm when i try to set it only one moniter is available. How do I install my TV as a display adapter along side my regular Moniter ? I've tried "Add hardware" and then selecting it from a list, but the "Generic TV" is nowhere :( ...

So ... just a matter of installing it ...

you've got to get it to regocnise theres something plugged in there. If you reboot with it plugged in it should find it and come as second monitor. Then you click on display 2, go to the setting for monitor type and chose generic tv

Until you get it recognise you have two devices you won't get anywhere.

BTW when you have 2 devices, it changes from Nview to devices.

Right I know what my current problem is ... My driver version is 28.32 and those don't support TV out .. (tested by unpluging moniter and just booting with S-video in) ... i remember using the 21.81's to get it working , but does anyone know a better version to use?

I'm getting there.. just driver probs now :p

mmMMMmm that is rather puzzeling ... on my TI200 when i boot with just the s-video in , i get all the way to the black windows screen with the nice logo on ... then it flickers and vanishes , i.e. not supported with these drivers as far as the site said ...

:( Losing hope now...

Could the difference be that I have a GeForce 4 whereas you have a 3 ?

When I first setup nview it was a complete &^£$" ( as you're finding out ) Mind you the good news is once it is setup, it stays setup :D

I need an older version of the dets, something around 21.74 that is in ZIP form to use the "update driver" ... I find those .exe's that are meant to do it all for you are useless and never update the drivers...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back