Help Needed (Comp random shutdown)

colinm1

OSNN Junior Addict
Have a problem with comp shutting randomly shutting down for no reason

When I reboot I get message " OVerclocking Failed" please press F1 to enter Bios, press f2 to reset bios to default".

I have never overclocked my PC so do not understand this, has happened 3 times in last 24 hours.

No new software has been installed and the only hard ware change was an upgrade pf my PSU to 500W about 2 months ago.

Have never seen this message before and am stumped, would really appreciate any help or advice.

My specs are:

Pentium 4 - 3.2 Ghz
Asus P4P800Deluxe mobo
1Gb dual channel Ram
500W Antec PSU
Nvidia FX5900XT Graphics
80Gb IBM Deskstar 7200
60Gb Maxtor Diamond 7200
Audigy 2 Soundcard
Toshiba 16x DVD Rom
Pioneer 110d 16x DVD Writer
Samsung Syncmaster 970P 19" TFT

Windows XP Professional +SP2

Thanks

I think ASUS has a smart overclocking utitlity that will push the CPU speed automatically if CPU utilization is at max. Turn it off. It will be under advanced settings in the Bios.

Someone else with an ASUS board was having the same problem just this week. The setting may be turned on in the bios defaults.

As for why it just showed up. The weather is warming up which means CPUs are also.

Last edited:
Thanks for the prompt reply, will give it a try, your help very much appreciated.

cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back