Help needed ASAP on building SLI system

homesick1337

Computer Lover
I recently wanted to build a SLI based system. I set aside $4000 for my budget for everything minus a monitor.

I got the hard drives, case, etc in mind. But am still new to the SLI and mobo thing.

1. Is there any motherboards that support P4 proccessors and SLI? If so what one do you recomend?

2. If not P4 whats the best option for AMD and SLI motherboard?

3. I heard they only take DDR 2 memory... i cant seem to find any on newegg.com, i plan to order everything thru there. Anyone can point it out to me. Or if this is true? Or the purpose of what makes DDR 2 so good vs DDR 1?

4. Finally i want to buy 2 video cards. I heard theres 2 models of the 6800, GT and Ultra, I cant seem to find either or what brand to get . What do you recomend between the two? and Brand?

Thank You,
homesick1337

ShepsCrook: Im guessing theres no P4 board with SLI? Also for the memory what do you recomend on New Egg? And finally is getting an FX better choice then the amd 4000 ?

There will soon be motherboards for Intel CPus with 2 X 16X PciE graphics port for SLI. They will debut around Cebit and be on sale after that.

The FX53 is multiplier unlocked and the 4000+ isn't. That only comes into play when overclocking.

The FX series is nice and all, but highly overpriced. At $1025 for the FX-55. Plus like it was mentioned, the FX is more for overclocking.

As far as ram goes, it all depends on if you're overclocking. If you are overclocking, then you want any ram that has 2.2.2.5 Samsung TCCD modules on the chips. If you aren't overclocking, then any ram will be fine really.

Homesick,
I think its great that you want a kick @$$ system, but you dont need to spend that kind of money for a gaming system... now thats ASSuming you are making a system only for gaming. If you are going to use if for 3D rendering Bryce 3D or other similar progs then go for it... to add to Sheps post... if you dont plan on OC'ing but want the best memory bang for your buck I would suggest any of the corsair TWIN XMS series memory. They are all paired memory sticks certified to work at their suggested FSB and WILL OC mine is completely stable I have yet to have a system crash, using known good burn-in tools. Hope this post helps.... Now, to answer your question about DDR2 vs DDR1 it all boils down to how the memory pulls or "fetches" pieces of data I.E. how large they are 2 bits vs 4 bits etc... essentially DDR2 is much more efficient in the manner that it pulls the data, and it doesnt rely on the motherboards error control die anymore like the old DDR1 did, so even though it is actually slower at what it does, because it does twice as much it is actually more like a %30 increase in productivity. SO... In THEORY if you were able to OC a DDR2 stick enough you could get a 100% increase in prodcutivity. HOW? Glad you asked. Essentially you would increase the speed of the memory to equal that of normal DDR1, so if you are as fast as DDR1 but can move twice the data, then you have increased your production 100% VIOALA! but.. like I posted above its THEORY... I have yet to try it, and personally I would wait approx 6 months when everything settles down. Here are 3 good reads for you. The first two are about DDR1 vs DDR2 and the third is about the prices of DDR2 vs DDR1, prepared by SAMSUNG in adobe format ENJOY! Lastly dont do this upgrade unless you plan to use a mobo with the FASTEST FSB available when you do, because thats when DDR2 finally shows its TRUE colors... on the older mobos there was no sense in using DDR2. Now its time for you to read for yourself....
http://www.overclockercafe.com/Articles/DDR_vs_DDR2/
http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/ram/ddr2_667/ddr2667-11en.htm
http://www.memforum.org/news/2004fall_idf/Samsung.pdf

If you dont have adobe you can downlaod an adobe reader here: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Oh, I didnt mention anything about SLI, because I havent used it and wont post anything if I havent done the research or used it myself.. sorry...

:D

homesick1337 said:
I recently wanted to build a SLI based system. I set aside $4000 for my budget for everything minus a monitor.

I got the hard drives, case, etc in mind. But am still new to the SLI and mobo thing.

1. Is there any motherboards that support P4 proccessors and SLI? If so what one do you recomend?

2. If not P4 whats the best option for AMD and SLI motherboard?

3. I heard they only take DDR 2 memory... i cant seem to find any on newegg.com, i plan to order everything thru there. Anyone can point it out to me. Or if this is true? Or the purpose of what makes DDR 2 so good vs DDR 1?

4. Finally i want to buy 2 video cards. I heard theres 2 models of the 6800, GT and Ultra, I cant seem to find either or what brand to get . What do you recomend between the two? and Brand?

Thank You,
homesick1337
look at my signature .. you will be pleased if you follow that to a T. I only paid 915 bucks for a retail fx55 and would be happy to get you one :) and i paid less than 3000 minus the monitor.

I suggest BFG due to lifetime 24/7 phone tech support and lifetime warranty. the even answer questions related to hardware issues other than video cards.

2 6800 gts is plenty. the ultras are basically overkill unless you feel the need to shell out an additional 100+ per card.

you dont need ddr2 ram .. mushkin low latency is plenty good and again lifetime warranty. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-355&depa=0

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ wrong answer...

I got to DISAGREE with you here.... take ANY Mobo and I mean any crappy or otherwise (which can handle 400mhz memory).... and put PC3200 DDR2 vs DDR1... then you do the benchmarks.... Ill bet you a PC like the one you got.... the one with DDR1 mem gets his @rse kicked... now, the OTHER reason I say that is... the cost difference is almost negligible when you are talking only a $60 difference I don't really see the point Not To get DDR2

just my 2 cents...

Hannibal

mlakrid said:
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ wrong answer...

I got to DISAGREE with you here.... take ANY Mobo and I mean any crappy or otherwise (which can handle 400mhz memory).... and put PC3200 DDR2 vs DDR1... then you do the benchmarks.... Ill bet you a PC like the one you got.... the one with DDR1 mem gets his @rse kicked... now, the OTHER reason I say that is... the cost difference is almost negligible when you are talking only a $60 difference I don't really see the point Not To get DDR2

just my 2 cents...

Hannibal

not when low latency ddr2 isnt available. 2225 is pretty low and the lowest ive found ddr2 is 332*.
Coming strait from MUSHKIN phone support its only a trendy item right now. Later on though DDR2 and even DDR3 will be more significant when 64bit platforms are the norm. again though , i guess its probably a matter of preference.

Im not even sure about overclocking. I found an article on this ram stating it could be overclocked to 470? possibly higher but more adequate and definite cooling measures are needed which is somewhere i dont want to go. Again maybe it was just hearsay and im not a diehard overclocker either. I just wish i could find 1 gig sticks of 222* of ram

Nope, not true... and it is NOT a novelty item either...
Also as I stated before:
mlakrid said:
essentially DDR2 is much more efficient in the manner that it pulls the data, and it doesnt rely on the motherboards error control die anymore like the old DDR1 did, so even though it is actually slower at what it does, because it does twice as much it is actually more like a %30 increase in productivity. SO... In THEORY if you were able to OC a DDR2 stick enough you could get a 100% increase in prodcutivity. HOW? Glad you asked. Essentially you would increase the speed of the memory to equal that of normal DDR1, so if you are as fast as DDR1 but can move twice the data, then you have increased your production 100% VIOALA! but.. like I posted above its THEORY... I have yet to try it, and personally I would wait approx 6 months when everything settles down.
http://www.overclockercafe.com/Articles/DDR_vs_DDR2/
http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/ram/ddr2_667/ddr2667-11en.htm
http://www.memforum.org/news/2004fall_idf/Samsung.pdf

DDR2 is here to stay.. the difference is you need to buy a mobo which supports it... In almost evey case I found DDR2 is in the 240 pin version vs the 184... Corsair for Example:
DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs
Features the new, ultra-fast DDR2 technology.
model: TWIN2X1024-4300c3
and These are 3-3-3-8 which were the fastest timings for DDR2 as of January
I know they have released the PC5400 series DDR2 which are mostly 4-4-4-12
But almost all of them can be OC'd to WAY outperform DDR1 in the same architecture, as I also mentioned previously... AGAIN dont take my word for it, see for yourself: As you will see Corsair once again beat all comers for best stock performance at the timings listed by the manufacturers, and we still don't have CPUs that can even keep up with the memory. You will draw your own conclusions, I hope I opened your eyes to the NEW memory generation!
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1710

Enjoy ALL! :D

From benchmarks and whatnot, DDR2 performed only mildly better. It will become the standard in the future, just like PCI-E. If you pair 2 video cards that are the same make and speed, PCI-E and AGP, the PCI-E only performs slightly better. BUT, over time, the gap will become much greater.

Either way, DDR2 will be here to stay. It is being pushed into the market slowly but steadily.

I was not reffering to how DDR2 is performing right now I.E. 400Mhz. But how it will perform when the CPUS reach the speeds in which DDR2 has the ability to work at... SO... when you look at 560+ to 1066 FSB speeds.. DDR2 eats all competitors... If we were speaking solely to 400Mhz sure DDR2 has almost NO improvement over DDR1... if you read the articles I posted previously however... they also say that...

:p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back