Help Need to Format Win XP Pro

W

WishMaster

Can someone help me. I need to format my hardrive so that I can partion it correctly. I don't want to use partition magic or other 3rd party software. I want to reformat and then create the partition myself. I'm good with win 98. I have done reformatting severla times. Now that I installed win XP Pro and as NTFS, I'm puzzled. Can someone help. Do I need to create a boot disk for win xp pro. My pc has options to boot from cd. Thanks for any help.

Hi wishmaster,

the only way i know how to creatie partions manually is with fdisk.

Make a boot-disk with win98 -> boot
the type in fdisk

now you can partion your harddisk at your will.

WARINING: its NOT so simple and all your data will be lost if you do new partions.

Thanks. So on a NTFS system, I can use win 98 fdisk? I dont care about the data, I already backed it up.

If you boot to the XP CD and select Advanced Options during the Setup it should give you the option to create and name multiple partitions.

Originally posted by WishMaster
Thanks. So on a NTFS system, I can use win 98 fdisk?
Yes. It won't 'recognize' ntfs, but it will recognize your 'NON-DOS' partitions and you can delete and recreate them. You'll need to use XP's setup to format in ntfs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back