Help me with my network!!!

S

steveklebs

Hey everyone,

My roomates and I have set up a small network to share our music and such.... however, anyone in our dorm can get access. I want to limit it so that only they can do it.

I know that I can set the permissions by adding thier username, but that would mean that I would have to add 3 other accounts to my computer.

We all want to add an account called "user" with pw "pass" .... here is the question.... how do I get it so that there is a log in box such as this...

promp.jpg

... as of now, this box only appears on one of my roomates computers. Can someone please tell me how I get this box to show on all of them? We are all useing XP PRO

Thanks!
Steve

control panel
user accounts
change the way users log on or off
uncheck box by use the welcome screen

This is not when windows starts up... this is when a network user is trying to connect to the computer from another one

Okay here is a little trick to make users, so that they can remotely log on and get files but they can not login on your workstation. Go to control panel, admistrative tools, computer manement, than on the left hand side you will see a bar, click on "Local Users and Groups", and go to "Users." As long as they are not apart of a certain group ( I believe its users, but not sure ) they can not log onto your system, but you can assign them shared folders and such.

Enjoy!

Is the problem is that the logon screen on your machine forces Guest as the logon account when someone tries to connect?

If so, do two things:

1) Turn off simple file sharing. Open My Computer. Go to Tools => Folder Options. Click the View tab. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the Advanced Settings window and uncheck "Use simple file sharing".

2) Turn off Force Guest. Edit the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

Set ForceGuest=0

That'll make it so it doesn't force the guest account when someone tries to connect remotely.

You can get the same info in the MS database article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290403

Good Luck!

I already have simple file sharing off..

I want that log in box to appear!!! I am trying to figure out how to get it to show up everytime someone tries to connect to my computer!

Thanks
Steve

Turn off Force Guest. Edit the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Curr
entControlSet\Control\Lsa

Set ForceGuest=0

Thats how. Also take off guest for all your shared folders. Also make sure the person doesn't have your username "remembered" on their computer. (The little check box on your screen shot)

ok... just did that... it was actually already set to "0" and the only permissions granted for the shared folders are me and the account "user".... when someone tries to log on, instead of giving that log in box, it simply says that access is denied.

no... cuase I want them to get the log in box, so that they can log in under "user"

Hope this makes sense

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back