Help me stop Windows Messenger!

• Thread starter Nathan Alexande
  • Start date
N

Nathan Alexande

Hey guys...win messenger starts when I startup explorer. How do I prevent this? I have already disabled the Outlook "trigger" as well.

do you still use Windows Messenger, or have you started using MSN Messenger, and yes b4 you start there is a difference.

MSN Messenger is no longer intergrated into Windows and Windows Messenger is.

If you donot use Windows Messenger then you can do this to get rid of it as there is no uninstall for it.

start---run---"copy and paste this" RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

this will remove Windows Messenger from your system.

and if you are using Windows Messenger then there is no way to stop it from loading when you open OE

Hi Nathan. There are several ways to get rid of Messenger. One, if you are running XP, is to make it available in the Add and Remove Windows options.

To do this go to Run- and enter C:\Windows\inf\sysoc.inf

Then scan down to the entry msmsgs=msgrocm.dll take out the word Hide from between the two commas, but leave the commas there. Then save and close.

Go to the Add/Remove Windows components and Windows Messenger will be an option. Remove both the ticks and Save.

You might find that the ticks keep reappearing, but keep taking them out and they will go eventually. Make sure that Messenger isn't running when you remove the ticks. If ever you want it back again simply replace the ticks.

If you are successfull the option in Outlook will disappear.

if you have Sp1 installed the option is added cause of the lawsuits......

open add/remove programs on left - set program access and defaults should now be there. click it it will give choices to change messaging, browser, media player and email program. under custom:huh:

Originally posted by Kevin Ar18
Be warned that some of these methods will caused Outlook Express to take a longer time to launch.

Personally, I rename the folder C:\Program Files\Messenger to C:\Program Files\Messenger2
It stops the problem without causing the slowdown in Outlook Express.

P.S. I don't know which method causes the slowdown in Outlook Express, I just know that one of them does. It may not even be one of the methods suggested by the others in this thread.

Or do wat i did and delete the folder all together......
From Program files....:happy:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back