Help Me :| (quoted)

shokpin

OSNN Junior Addict
ok, going to quote a friends post, he's having trouble registering or something, here goes

Just got all the parts to my new comp in... installed them all to the best of my ability...

Problem: When I try to boot up, I get a high pitched noise coming from the power source, but no juice to the board. When I kill the power, I notice the fans move briefly. Im thinking I have misplaced jumpers somewhere...I have the ASUS A7N8X Del. with a 2700 AMD Athlon XP and a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ cooling fan. 512 Stick of Crucial DDR RAM. Can someone help me troubleshoot this issue?

Contact on AIM (Shorty6string125) or MSN (KeithWood125@hotmail.com) or respond here.

Thanks.
Keith

Originally posted by shokpin
ok, going to quote a friends post, he's having trouble registering or something, here goes

high pitched noise == something possibly buggered with the psu...

I recommend trying out another psu and perhaps rma-ing the psu :)

but then again... are you saying that the psu is making the noise it is supposed to be making (am unaware whatcha mean by HIGH PITCHED NOISE)

is this a problem or does it sound like a regular psu?

ok.. re-read things...

do this...

unplug EVERYTHING and remove the cpu from the board... leave perhaps a case fan or something plugged in...

plug in the psu to the board and turn it on... if the fan works... turn off psu... wait for charge to disipate.. plug in another device... turn on and test... and repeat procedure...

NOTE

I am still a bit confused about the high pitched whine.. that should not be occuring... if it is a really HIGH pitch... I spose it is better not to risk frying everything... incl the mobo and all attached devices... have the psu checked out...

if the pitch is normal in your opinion... do what I suggested and see if there is not perhaps a short some where... :)

g.luck...

Still no dice. Did what you said, fan no work. Turns on briefly when I kill power...

Originally posted by KeithW
Still no dice. Did what you said, fan no work. Turns on briefly when I kill power...

a few more hardware lads will be down soon :) they may be able to offer more info..

is it possible for you to try another psu with your system ?

the high pitched squeel is a knackerd PSU, the kicking over of the fans for a split second is the PSU going live then somthing tripping it out. find the green wire on the 15 pin PSU plug and short it to a ground wire either side (black) if it powers and squeels then its a RMA dead issue.

the wires shown here
testpsu4.jpg

from the make a test PSU readup here http://www.casemodgod.com/mod_test_psu.htm

Originally posted by GoNz0
the high pitched squeel is a knackerd PSU, the kicking over of the fans for a split second is the PSU going live then somthing tripping it out. find the green wire on the 15 pin PSU plug and short it to a ground wire either side (black) if it powers and squeels then its a RMA dead issue.

the wires shown here
testpsu4.jpg

from the make a test PSU readup here http://www.casemodgod.com/mod_test_psu.htm

he pm'd me and said it was normal psu noise AFA he knew... but I also thought that immediately...

keith.. you are sure about the psu being fine right ?

try gonzo's tips... and please do try and test another psu with your system if you can

if the PSU is ok then somthing is overloading to cause the instant trip out. strip and rebuild time in that case, and from experience, somthings broke to cause that.

also make sure you got the PSU working at the right voltage (should be under the PSU outlet). Other than that, I wouls also recommend trying a different power supply.

yah on the back of the PSU check to see if the little switch thats says 115 or 210 is set right.

The first computer I ever built had it on 210 (for god knows why??) and it wouldn't turn on but when I hit the switch the fans would jump, took me to days to figure out the switch in the back was wrong. Course awesome sites like this didn't exist back then soooo :rolleyes:

I Tried the test you described Gonzo, and have determined its in the PSU. Im headed up to pick up a new PSU from the local part store. I'll let you know how it turns out

Ok, Im wrong again it seems. Just put a brand new PSU in... no luck. Is it the board? Are there any tests I can run to determine?

check your power supply... is it faulty that narrows it down to the puter, if it dont work then its a dead mobo

2 bad power supplies is unlikely.

Pull the motherboard out of the case and set it on an insulating surface (wood, formica, cardboard box, etc). Plug the power supply and a case fan into the MB and attach the Case power switch lead to the MB. Turn it on and see if the power supply comes up. If it does turn it off and add the ram, CPU/Fan and Vid card. Tunr it back on and it should go through POST and give video output to a monitor.

This is the way I buiild all my systems. (It's also the way most assembly shops build and test new systems.) It is a pain in the ass assembling the whole mess to find out something doesn't work or the MB maker didn't leave enough clearance around a mounting screw causing a short. Also, CPU hs/fan install and RAM install is easier out of case.

Once you know everything works on the bench, pull the vid card and install the MB (with everything still on it) into the case. Anything acts up now and its the physical MB install.

I'll try that out. This is a brand new mobo and find it hard to believe it would be faulty right out of the box

To let everyone whos been helping Keith know. He got things up and running and I believe it was your post LeeJend that got things straightened out.

I'll remind him to post a follow-up :)

Originally posted by shokpin
To let everyone whos been helping Keith know. He got things up and running and I believe it was your post LeeJend that got things straightened out.

I'll remind him to post a follow-up :)

:(

so he never tried what I suggested then :(

/me points to his 2nd post in this thread...

/me walks off into the wilderness since no one ever listens to him anyway

/me decides to commit hara kiri

oh cruel world... t'is been good... yes... but no more shall I live scorned :(

/me jumps off a 2 foot high mound into a foot deep pool of water...

Hehe, don't feel bad Sazar, I just think LeeJend's post was a bit more ...step-by-step.

Something Keith probably needs :p

1) Die shokpin :|

2) I did try what you said Sazar, but unfortunately at the time.... Standoffs were a foriegn idea... thats right, Im really that stupid.

Now everything is running, in theory...

Thanks everyone :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back