Help me out please

O

o4shodo

Ever since I installed Windows XP Proffesional on my computer i've experienced problems with the taskbar being very slow. When i hover my mouse pointer on accessories for example it takes about 10 seconds for it to show me them. This is becoming very annoying. My computer should be capable of running it well, but i sense that something is wrong. My programs all run great once started, it just takes forever for them to start. I just remembered that when I right click, it takes about 10 seconds for my computer to show the options as well. My computer is the following: Celeron 900mhz, 384mb pc133 ram, 40gig hd, Geforce 2 MX400, ASUS CUSI FX motherboard (newest bios installed). I don't have Windows Blinds or anything like that installed. If i can't get this annoyance out of the way i'm probably going to go ahead and reformatt and start all over. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you upgraded then I'd suggest going with the format and clean installation.

It was a clean install. From scratch. The partition is NTFS just for more information.

umm lonman do you think it might be related to sumthg like ntfslastaccessed or sumthg.???

try this:
run Regedit.
go@ HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
Select >MenuShowDelay from the list on the right.
Right click and select Modify.
Change the value to 0 < for the lag off the menus it sould speed them up..

Hey dArK_CyAnIdE, I did as you suggested and it sped things up slightly, its still not even close to as fast as it is on most other machines, but its an improvement. Thanks for at least helping me get a little bit of a boost.

I'm not sure what the problem could be. Have you defragged your drive(s)? If so, what defrag utility are you using?

Yea, i've defragmented the harddrive 3 times in the last four days with the built in one. Whenever I right click on the desktop and click on properties to change the background it takes a very long time for that to come up as well. Its really wierd because on my friends computers it comes up almost instantly.

You might want to try checking the Event Viewer to see if it is reporting problems with any of your programs that might be causing the slow responses.

I've seen this problem on the forums before, and i'm fairly sure that an answer was found, but i'm afraid you'll have to hunt it down, i'm sooooo lazy.

had the same prob, the only fix is a format and clean install! I know u said u have done this, but u may need to do it again! and then check every new software u installed to see which one is slowing the system down! This worked for me, so much so that it takes less than a second for the taskbar to be active!

Cheers
NRG!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back