Help me move my HDDs to my new server

saeltmarae2k

OSNN Addict
Hey guys,

I have a server running 2k3 Server. I have built a new machine to replace it and would like to make a complete image of my old server and load it onto the new one...I cannot have any downtime, so what can I do? I considered a TrueImage backup of my existing server...can I load this directly onto the new machine? I would, of course, format the old machine so that I'm not in violation of any software keys or anything. Since the new machine is completely different, it will have new drivers, etc...what is the best way to handle this?

Thanks in advance! :)

The best way is to setup the new server first, config, copy files, install software and then switch. Using a drive image program isnt a good idea as windows is attached to that system viz drivers. You would have to do a repair install which I never recommend on an entire system swap, to recover files fine.

If the hardware was exactly the same, you could do a image through Acronis, that lets you boot to a CD, run your services from that CD, until the image finishes downloading to the PC.

I think this may work on different platforms, but a machine that important I wouldn't risk it on a PDC

he said it was a completely new machine, if it had been the same it would have been as easy as just taking the hard drive out of the old machine and putting it in the new machine.

Your best bet is to install an entire new system, and slowly move everything over with testing in between, especially things that could go wrong. If the server is brand new, make sure it undergoes some stress tests to find the weaknesses and whatnot.

he said it was a completely new machine, if it had been the same it would have been as easy as just taking the hard drive out of the old machine and putting it in the new machine.

Your best bet is to install an entire new system, and slowly move everything over with testing in between, especially things that could go wrong. If the server is brand new, make sure it undergoes some stress tests to find the weaknesses and whatnot.

Oh okay...I was hoping that there was some shortcut...yeah the new server is completely different so i can't just swap drives...that would be nice! What do you guys recommend for burn-in or diagnostics?

Thx!

IMO shortcuts leads to problems, maybe not now but down the road. And if this is an important server then shortcuts shouldn't really be taken.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back