Help me make sense of this... Internet issue.

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
Okay, as much as I know and as much I as I wish I knew I just can't make any sense out of this issue. So maybe someone else can.

I run a network (for those of you who didn't know). Since yesterday morning my users had issues when trying to connect to a certain web site.

Some of the time they would be able to login to the site but then certain portions of the site would time out and return a "The page cannot be displayed."

Other times they wouldn't even be able to login. And regardless the site was very slow.

NO other sites (this site, foxnews.com, msn.com, etc.) seemed to be affected.

I called this company's help desk responsible for this site (three times) and they said, "we'll look into it." Well obviously they didn't because I had to call three times. The third time I called they told me there was no issue whatsoever. That it had to be my network.

By the end of the day I decided to reboot our Contivity (gateway/firewall). After rebooting the Contivity the site worked just fine.

I can't make any sense of this.

Does anyone have an idea?

Well, first off, it might have been something with their network. I know a lot of times where I work (out of my hands), issues occur, and they are fixed without anyone knowing.

However, in the event it may have been something to do with your network, the only thing I can think of is maybe the DNS records expired, or where not purged properly, and thus were done so by the reboot?

Kinda hard to tell, but odd that it only happens for that one site.

Would it be possible for you to provide the link, as well as how often this site is used by your company vs. other websites?

The only thing I can think of is that are session sharing and some IP changed over the weekend and my network had it cached.

It doesn't happen often, probably the second time this has happened in the last eight months (or so).

It has to be some thing between our network and theirs (making me think they changed an IP or some thing some where).

Yeah, now that you mention it, IP change sounds about right. We had an issue here on campus a month or so ago, where Microsoft moved their Windows Update servers. There are policies in place to allow students to get to the Windows Update site by IP only, to avoid spoofing. Needless to say, we had several calls saying no one could update :p

I just feel that the entire situation made me look bad to my superiors. Because I pinned the blame on this company then rebooting the Contivity fixed the issue.

Understandable, and it's tough to pinpoint that. As I mentioned before, I wouldn't entirely rule out it being their issue.

And, from what I understand I wouldn't worry about looking bad to your superiors, you do amazing work :)

Are there any logs on the hardware that might shed some light on the situation, or did they get flushed with the reboot?

I have a similar problem, but that's with my home network. Except, only one site works and the rest don't. So I guess it's not very similar, but it's damn annoying. Restarting the router seems to fix the issue for me...which is obviously not an ideal solution for you.

Grandmaster said:
I have a similar problem, but that's with my home network. Except, only one site works and the rest don't. So I guess it's not very similar, but it's damn annoying. Restarting the router seems to fix the issue for me...which is obviously not an ideal solution for you.

Is it the same site for you each time, how often does it happen?

The Contivity is basically a router. Some what, yeah, I guess. So yeah, it fixes the issue and it causes loss of connectivity to the outside world for about five minutes.

No logs, flushed on reboot.

Yeah it's always OSNN. I'm guessing it has to do with that because it's the home page. And it happens fairly often, every 2 days or so. I haven't had a chance to post about it.

Sorry for the hijack, matt.

Grandmaster said:
Yeah it's always OSNN. I'm guessing it has to do with that because it's the home page. And it happens fairly often, every 2 days or so. I haven't had a chance to post about it.

Sorry for the hijack, matt.

What is the lease set to on your DHCP address?

kcnychief said:
What is the lease set to on your DHCP address?

That would require me to logon to the router admin page, and I'm locked out of that by my dad :p

LOL. Try leaving the username blank and "admin" for password.

Unless he changed it.

I would hope he did :rolleyes:

*runs to try hacking into Grandmaster's Router*

madmatt said:
LOL. Try leaving the username blank and "admin" for password.

Unless he changed it.

Nah, he works for Cisco. He's no slouch with the security. Sometimes I wish he was like most parents with technology.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back