Help me help my friend... choosing Video Card.

Blade195

OSNN Addict
Using the upgrade for 5 months for Doom 3, Half-life 2, and Sims 2. And then he is off to the army. This is quite a tricky question so I couldn't recommend him right away.

The cheapest Radeon 9800 Pro is $258 (US) here, so that is out of his budget.

Geforce FX 5900 XT . . . $193 (plus a $26 350W PSU)

Radeon 9600 XT . . . . . .$150 (plus a $18 300W PSU)

So he does not want to go overboard. He just wants to have a card that will be good enough for the 5 months. No more, no less. What is the best choice to make.

Thanx for your help, as usual...

how well do you need to run those games? either of them can run on a 9600xt or 5700 ultra decently well for not too bad of a price. doom 3 can go 1024x768 medium quality at pretty decent speeds on a 5700 ultra. he doesn't need a super powerhouse graphics card if it's only for a couple of months. granted it won't be the fastest or smoothest thing in the world, but it certainly is a cheap option. and the new PSU thing? get some good stable, reliable power from either an antec, enermax, or TTGI power supply, don't buy the 18 dollar noname crap, trust me you'll be much happier.

Well, i was talking about the 5900 XT instead of the 5700 Ultra. Since they cost almost the same, and you seem to be recommending the 5700 Ultra, I guess i'll tell my friend to go with the 5900 XT. Afterall, the 5900 XT is a bit better than the 5700 Ultra.

What about the Radeon 9600 XT? if that can run Doom 3 on med 1024 x 768, then i guess that'd be better since it is cheaper.

i have thet 9600 xt and it runs a little choppy on doom sometimes even with 800 x 600 but with halo and counterstrike it runs flawless

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back