Help me find a download utility.

• Thread starter Nathan Alexande
  • Start date
N

Nathan Alexande

Hi guys,

I am looking for a good download utility that will not fill my pc with ads and spyware. I used Download Accellerator Pro on my last PC, but it put all sorts of unwanted stuff on my PC. What do you guys suggest I use?

Thanks.

Nothing at all... Download utilities are a joke. I guess if you happen to be on 56k then it's reasonable, but if you are on broadband then it's stupid.

Fresh Download is free and from what I've heard (I've never used it myself) a pretty good program.

I use FlashGet and am on broadband. Being on broadband does not guarentee that the download will time out. There have been several times that it has happened to me.

I love GetRight and use it with broadband because it will download a huge file in segments. So instead of having a single 100kbps download, it can break the file into three segments at nearly 300kbps total. Plus it's nice to be able to queue stuff if the background and let the program automatically download everything for you.

Originally posted by Jewelzz
Fresh Download is free and from what I've heard (I've never used it myself) a pretty good program.

What I use... but only for linux ISOs and other huge files :)

Originally posted by muzikool
I love GetRight and use it with broadband because it will download a huge file in segments. So instead of having a single 100kbps download, it can break the file into three segments at nearly 300kbps total. Plus it's nice to be able to queue stuff if the background and let the program automatically download everything for you.

I'm a GetRight user myself... being on 56k... :mad:
*kicks his 56k modem*

i use flashget! it does all the same stuff as getright but has a better user interface! only problem its shareware! but it is more tweakable than getright and has more features!

Came across DLExpert (freeware) a few days ago. Me likes it. :D It does have a false 'positive' when doing a spyware search. Don't worry it is clean. :)

I've been using Star Downloader. It's free and doesn't take up a lot of screen space (everything can go to system tray if you want it to). It also doesn't have any spyware or ads or anything. There's only 2 downsides I've seen to it so far. It doesn't always get downloads that go through a script, and I don't think it has a "leech everything from site" type feature (i.e. download all jpeg files from 1 webpage).
Fresh Downloader is free, but last time I used it, it kept buggin me to register it (no biggie, but still). You might want to take all these suggestions and check out c-net's download.com for user reviews.

I just use Opera's inbuilt download manager. Haven't had any problems with it.

I asked the same question a while ago and the "Smart as hell ppl" at NTFS.ORG suggested star downloader.....

I got it and I ust say that I used Getright and now I've been converted....Fantastic little program..(and free)...

Gr8 site ..Gr8 PPL .... Just Gr8

Alloy25

Cool. I think I'll download a few different ones, and see which on works best for me. Thanks, guys!

If you are concerned about spyware, Spy bot ver 1.2 has an active scanner that prevents spyware from being installed on your box.

Well, I have decided on Star Downloader. Very nice utility indeed! Thanks for the help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back