Votes: 9 28.1%
  • LCD TV

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • DLP TV

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • DLP Projector and Screen

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters
If you want, send the DLP Projector and Screen to my place, I will test and write a review for you :smoker:

Westinghouse 1080P lcd display :cool:

Nuff said.

Plasma is a bad investment at this time (limited lifespan). LCD will last much longer. Projectors will burn out and the bulb will have to be replaced.

Saz's suggestion is a good one.

-LCD has limited size and native resolution issues. Backlights burn out.

-Plasma has a major issue with screen burn in and life span (1-2 year). Maybe this has been improved but unless they offer a 5 year, no cost screen replacement warantee at a local shop don't do it.

-DLP Projector/Screen - disadvantage of positioning and alignment, blocked view, light levels, noisy cooling fan for the humongous bulb required, image wash out, etc.

-DLP TV Best bet right now. Good image brightness, lowest cost per inch. Bulb life may be an issue. Find out the facts, warantee coverage and life.

CRT TV's have a 10 year life. All the new technologies cost 2-10 times more and most have limited life. Look for an 18 inch deep CRT set.

Yeah, yeah I know an a crotchity old fart rejecting new ideas for the lame reason that they suck.

-Plasma has a major issue with screen burn in and life span (1-2 year). Maybe this has been improved but unless they offer a 5 year, no cost screen replacement warantee at a local shop don't do it.

Suppose to have been taken care of on the new ones.

In my experience if an issue is resolved they offer an extended coverage warantee to build consumer confidence.

No warantee means the issue is still there.

We'll know for sure in 2-5 years if people start complaining about their burn-in free plasma's having problems.

Wanna be a $2000 tester?

Last edited:
I'll just find out from our customers. (I work for a cable company) I dont have the money to put to a TV like that right now. Have a 10 month old son.
that is were all the money is going for now.

I just got back from Frye's electronics. After spending 30 minutes wandering up and down the aisles and comparing image quality of all 5 types I reiterate my advice.

"Get a CRT based TV and live with the cabinet depth."

The Plasma, DLP and Projection pictures all sucked. LCD wasn't that bad but they were way too small and expen$ive.

If I were doing anything in the future...(I already got a 32 inch LG LCD for a good price) I would buy a dlp with LED backlighting, they produce less heat have a higher contrast and use less energy.

Also LEDS have a higher lifespan than the bulbs, and you don't have to wait for the bulb to warm with LEDs...also one other company (HP or Mitsubishi) is coming out with a laser based DLP to be even better (supposedly) than the LED based dlps...
http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/06/samsung-hl-s5679w-dlp-with-led-backlight/

they are a little ways away but I would wait for that to come down in price

i'd still go with the dlp projector... right now i have a lcd projector and it's MUCH better than any small screened lcd or plasma (yes when a projector is in question, 48" is tiny:p) once my lcd projector get's messed up i'm going to switch to a dlp

actually for it's small size and easy transport.. i'd probably pick this

http://www.olympusamerica.com/innards/vp1.asp?DCMP=vp1

LeeJend said:
-DLP Projector/Screen - disadvantage of positioning and alignment, blocked view, light levels, noisy cooling fan for the humongous bulb required, image wash out, etc.

-DLP TV Best bet right now. Good image brightness, lowest cost per inch. Bulb life may be an issue. Find out the facts, warantee coverage and life.

CRT TV's have a 10 year life. All the new technologies cost 2-10 times more and most have limited life. Look for an 18 inch deep CRT set.

Yeah, yeah I know an a crotchity old fart rejecting new ideas for the lame reason that they suck.

Heh, I'm not going CRT. My current TV has meters from various games burned into all four corners and that's my prime motivation right now - a burn-inless existence. So, I guess DLP is it, huh? You may have convinced me on the TV over the projector/screen. Originally I'd just been considering that the TV is a projector and screen in a fixed position, so why not get the projector and screen that you can move? But the noisy fan, that is a serious problem for me, I am a sound nerd.

LCD TVs also have an issue with burn-in. I've seen a station logo burned-in to the screen of a Mitsubishi 52" LCD television.

I highly recommend a DLP set -- Mitsubishi makes some amazing 1080P ones. I've done a lot of research into the different technologies and this is what I recommend.

If you're leaning towads a projector then I'd go with DLP, but I'd get one that has a 2x speed color wheel or even dual wheels. This will eliminate the "rainbow effect" that plagues some DLP projectors. I know InFocus sells one.

TDINC, we have the exact same tubes!
Got mine for christmas as well :)
Go with DLP, its the best, i have a super nerd friend who of course advized me. Plus, and LCD is i think worse quality and its also much more expensive...

I think people just don't know what they are talking about and are like my mother who thinks, because she has heard plasma so often, and because it is so expensive. Its the best...

hmm... probably right. i thought it was the best thing in the world until my friend got one and it got SOOO dim... I'm never going to buy one until they do some major overhauling

mmmhmmm
Thats the truth, my friend got a 42 inch plasma and the quality is not too great, it was a samsung too...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back