• LCD TV

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • DLP TV

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • DLP Projector and Screen

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters
Sazar said:

Ok, I read the website. BTW it doesn't even say what technology it is (LCD, DLP, etc.)? It has a projection bulb but that could be LCD shutter or DLP projection. https://www.westinghousedigital.com/pc-59-7-47-1080p-monitor.aspx

The technical link is interesting. Sounds interesting, as a monitror 1200:1 contrast and 450cd/m2 is hot ****. As a widrescreen TV viewed, in a daylite room with big windows it sucks. Plasma starts life at 2000-3000:1 and 1000 cd/m2.

Like I said above. I looked at about 100 sets at Frye's. And they even cheat by turning the overhead lites out over the massive area where the TV's are. It was very disappointing and killed any interest in getting a widescreen set for my birthday this month.

BTW If you get DLP be careful about sharp impact or vibration to the set. Pad it well if you are self transporting.

DLP uses a high intensity projection bulb, (3) light filters and a very high frequency vibrating mirror to paint the digital image. The system is electromechanical, not solid state. That requires precise alignment and is subject to misalignment unlike LCD or plasma. Probably worse than CRT also. :)dead: My CRT TV stand broke and it hit the carpeted floor pretty hard. The repair shop had to realign the magnets and it's image is ok now unless you know where to look for the defect. Electron gun got nudged.) A DLP would not have taken this abuse and survived.

Last edited:
LeeJend said:
BTW If you get DLP be careful about sharp impact or vibration to the set. Pad it well if you are self transporting.

Thanks for this, and all the other useful info. I think I'm going to go with the DLP flat screen instead of the projector/screen. I'm more of a stickler for sound than anything, and the projector/screen just makes more noise than the TV. I saw the DLP model I want in the store yesterday, and it looks just great, to me the picture was better than the Plasma they had on display. My cousin has an LCD with a couple of dead pixels, one look at that was enough to scare me off.

Good choice,
One thing to note, although i haven't experienced this, i am told that after a few years, of lots of use, you might need to replace the bulb, which is around 200 dollars or so...
Still i think that it is cheaper and better than an lcd or a plasma

All projection TVs and projectors have lamps (bulbs) that will go out at some point -- that's just part of the technology. Some retailers will include the bulb in their extended warranty options. It's something to consider.

Yeah muzi is right, when i got mine at bestbuy they said it was included in the 3 year maintenance program (extra money for the program obviously)
I turned it down cause i dont watch that much tv so i dont think mine will burn out by then.

Hm, I didn't get the bulb plan they offered me either. I am just relying on my luck. :) They did throw in a free bulb though! I was trying to haggle the price down and I think they were sick of me. Anyway, thanks for all the help, I feel like I made a really educated choice.

Wow, you got a replacement lamp for free? Nice.

What TV did you get? I went to the link you posted above but it couldn't be found.

Yah, same...
Your lucky, a free bulb?
Thats worth a spot :)
What TV though?

the new samsung dlp with LEDs instead of bulbs is where it's at!!!

Saw it for 2400 and almost bought on site. These things don't have the bulb which is quicker to start, longer lasting, cheaper to replace, and consumes less energy.

Also one of the tv companies(I think Mitsubishi or HP) is coming out with laser light technology that will make dlp even clearer and be even more beneficial than LEDs

Thats not like the sony 3 lcd technology is it?
Im not to fond of that technology.
Nice set though inakaotaku

no it's nothing like that...it's a dlp with leds instead of the expensive bulb

yeah.... but wouldn't leds be not bright enough? i mean they are bright and everything, but projector bulbs are MUCH brighter....

Ha, yeah, I forked out around $3,150 when all was said and done. But that's not actually that bad for what I bought. I haggled like crazy (as I already mentioned). It's a beautiful set. I have no complaints. Of course, now that I actually OWN a DLP set I feel as though I have to make strong arguments for DLP to all of my friends, which I'm sure they find annoying enough.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back