[Help]LaTeX document formatting

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
Does anyone know to create either package files or class files for LaTeX to format a document. I am in the process of writing my dissertation and am using LaTeX to free myself from the all the problems of having to format it all myself in word. The trouble is that I am not able to really create my own formatting correctly and my University doesnt provide a LaTeX style or class document to aid me in this.

Can anyone help me create either a style or class document to format my work according to the following style

Layout
Margins:
1.25 inches left and right
1 inch top and bottom

Numbering:
Center bottom (LaTeX report document class seems to do this already)

Single-sided printing. I have this setup using onside in the options area of the \documentclass command

Text
Normal text should be 12pt, Times New Roman and 1.5 line spacing
Currently I am specifying the 12pt in the \documentclass options and the 1.5 line spacing with the following
\setlength{\baselineskip}{1.5\baselineskip} % 1.5 line spacing

Headings
Chapter level heading: 18pt bold
ex: Chapter 2. Chapter Level Heading
Section level heading: 14pt bold
ex: 1.4 Section Level Heading
Subsection level heading: 12pt bold
ex: 3.2.3 Subsection Level Heading

ex (examples) included to show numbering style. Current LaTeX report document class does the numbering properly, but I dont know about the sizes.

Each chapter must start on a new page documentclass openany seems to do this properly. Numbering follow consistently (one of the beauties of using LaTeX)

Program Code
I'll use \begin{verbatim} blocks for these, but they need to be
10pt, Courier New, single spaced. Currently my 1.5 line spacing thing does it to all lines of the document.
Blocks or complete lines of code need to be indented. Smaller segments need to be bold and inline with normal text (using \verb, code sequence,)
Need a way to show variable elements of the code as italic, underlined, 12pt and Times new roman text.

Citations and References
Citations need to be in the harvard style. I have this currently working using the harvard.sty package.
Quotation blocks I have been using \begin{quote} and \begin{quotation} depending on if the quotation includes blank lines within it. Its my understanding that quotation handles blank lines while quote does not. Though I could swap over to using only quotation if thats easier for a formatting.
The quotation blocks need to be italic and single line spaced as well as indented.
References are currently my largest problem, we are supposed to be using the Harvard referencing stule and despite using the harvard agsm.bst BibTeX style and harvard.sty I cannot get these formatted correctly. The proper format is this
Bennett, K.; Cornelius, B.; Munro, M.; Robson, D. (1991) "Software maintenance" : in "Software Engineer's Reference Book", J. McDermid, ed. : Butterworth-Heinemann Ltd. : Oxford, 1991.

Bray, T. (1996a) "Measuring the Web" : in Proc. 5th WWW Conference, Paris, France.

Hatzimanikatis, A.E., Tsalidis, C.T., Christodoulakis, D. (1995) "Measuring the Readability and Maintainability of Hyperdocuments" : Software Maintenance: Research and Practice, 7: p.77-90.

SDE : ACM Symposium on Document Engineering (2001) to be held in Atlanta, Georgia, USA, 9-10 November 2001; URL http://www.documentengineering.org [accessed 14 May 2001]

If its possible to separately style the \cite within a \begin{quote} block and a \cite which is not in a quote block then the \cite within a quote block needs to be right aligned though not exceeding the normal right side indentation of the \begin{quote} block.

If anyone has any experience with LaTeX and thinks they can help me out with formatting my document properly then please let me know, post suggestions here and so on.
If its really effective and I have permission from all who assist me I may provide the file to my University department for future project students to make use of.

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back