Help Installing 2000 On A Compaq!

• Thread starter ThePunkerGuy
  • Start date
T

ThePunkerGuy

Ok, here is the situation.. i have my friends compaq presario case, motherboard, cpu (1.1gig athlon) and ram (384mb). Now i put my own 60gig 5400rpm maxtor in it. I put the 60gig in one of my other computers and formated it clean with FAT32. Now i put it in the Compaq, it recognizes it and i run the windows 2000 setup from the cd.. i set it up, win2000 setup copies the files to the hard drive and then restarts the computer.. well when the computer restarts it sais that NTLDR is missing, press any key to reboot. I made sure in the bios that the hard drive is the first boot device. So what am i doing wrong? Thanks
- Mike

ok dont think that this is a dumbass reply, but check if there is a floppy in the floppy drive. You maybe used a bootdisk and forgot to remove it.

the only time i've previously seen this message is when i managed to mess up the WinXP boot sector with a BSD install.

As far as i know its an abreviation of NT Loader, meaning the boot section, not really sure what would cause it to say its missing during an install, have you tried a different o/s from Windows2000 on the box?

ThePunkerGuy, could you take a quick look here, the pic in your sig exceeds those in the forum guidelines.

Thread Moved, General > Applications

Hi Mike, Listen here is what you need to do. You need to go to Microsoft.com> go to the Support Tab > it's Black with white lettering. When your mouse crosses over it a menu box will drop down the first choice avail able will be Knowledge base. CHOOSE that. On the page that loads go to the bottom and enter this Knowledge Article #: 255220 Here is the beginning of that Page:

When you attempt to install Windows 2000, or to upgrade a Microsoft Windows 95-based, Microsoft Windows 98-based, or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me)-based computer to Windows 2000, you may receive the following error message after the first reboot:

NTLDR is missing
Press any key to restart ......... Sound right? I would also suggest that you do a general search for NTldr(spell it just that way).

Basically what your issue is is that your "boot.Ini" file has a record of more than one OS install or at least it thinks so. that failed free BSD failed install is probably the culprit. NT loader is the file that designates which OS is the primary OS in a Dual boot system(usually).

Hope this helps,

Jelliot

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back