help im building my own PC

Eagle710

OSNN Senior Addict
I am going to build my own PC this weekend, i was wondering if anyone out there has any good tips, or recommendations as to where i should go for advice or a book to read before starting or something..... thanx

you dont need a book to read to build your own pc, lol that's the first
but you could ask us we're better than all the books :p
well you need to tell us a lil bit more was it that you wanna do with it (gaming, just for documents, work....)
you could start by looking at AMD 64, they're all good
asus or abit motherboards they're both good (and almost the same)
antec power supply
ati graphics card
creative sound card
maxtor or wd hard drives
nec 3520 for optical drive
not too sure about memory which one and it all goes back to which mobo you picked

I quess tom's hardware guides are perfect for your needs ..
Recommended ?
----------------------
Samsung 173P LCD
Antec Case
Logitech ( peripherals )
Asus Mobo ( LGA775 )

I personnal would avoid asus or abit, because they are kinda cheap.

Gigabyte motherboards (why because they are well prices, stable and have 4 memory slots)
Nvidia would be a better option although i will conceed that the x800 line from ATI are pretty good and better priced then Nvidia.

Memory kingston value ram, good price and quality

H/D hitachi is good, western digital and maxtor are also

makes NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO difference what cd rom you get, don't listen to anyone that says otherwise.

cpu if you plan on playing games then the amd 64 is a good bet otherwise the amd xp or sempron are good choices.

People compare this PSU to that PSU (power supply unit), but either by good fortune or coincidence, i have never had a problem with the generic ones that came with the case. so ask someone else on that guess.

And as for what was said about books totally agree, if you know how to build a pc, then all its about are what parts you want to purchase.

People compare this PSU to that PSU (power supply unit), but either by good fortune or coincidence, i have never had a problem with the generic ones that came with the case. so ask someone else on that guess.

I hope you'll never " discover " this issue but your ideea is not a rule ..

comint, did i ever say it was, i said i've never encountered a problem, so someone else would have to cover that!

cheap psu's take hardware with them. Trust me. iv went through 2 mobos and 3 hardives in the years because of cheap psu's. I think you should tell us what you want to do with your computer. When i build one or recommend one for someone i allways ask this. first. You get what you pay for but you get more for what you pay for when you think what your going to do with it and what you wi9ll want to do with it.

Thats correct venom, i must have just been extremely lucky in life then, because i've never had an issue.. ever, in ten yrs.

hehe i wish i were you lancer id be up 600 or so hehe.. but when something does fry.. it does mean its upgrade time. hehe

and this is my own rule of thumb the heavier a psu is the better. (hard to do online though)

I'm going with lancer, the cheapo in m y Raidmax case is more powerful than the PSU in the Antec I built for work.

I dunno.....

all im saying is a psu is like buying a cond*m or tires... do you really want a cheap one? lol

very 'interesting' point.

Anyways, there r too things you shouldn't go cheap on:

1. your ram
2. your psu

get a good quality PSU, dont just look at the wattage. the individual power rails are also important, look for atleast 18amperes on the 12v rail. while a cheapo, no-name psu may seem like a deal theres no guarntee of stability.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back