Help!!!How to open a ppt file without powerpoint?!?!

W

wufong

I have recieved a job application pack via email in the form of a ppt ( apparently powerpoint ) file. The guy is ringing me up next friday for a telephone interview, which is great news, as I'm sure you all agree.....problem is I don't have powerpoint on my PC, so I can't read the damn thing! To solve my problem I either need to buy Microsoft Office ( rather costly) or find another program that can open ppt files......Can anyone tell me if this 'another program' exsists or perhaps make any genius suggestions....or am I destined forever to never get another job??? * arranges rope into noose*

The difference between PPS (PowerPoint Show) and PPT (PowerPoint presentation) files is this:

One ends with an "S". The other ends with a "T". PPT. PPS.

That's it. They're the same other than that.

A PPS is just a PPT file with a different file extension that tells PowerPoint "Open me directly into slide show view, not editing view." You can "convert" from one to the other simply by renaming the files.

It follows, then, that you do need either PowerPoint or the PowerPoint viewer to play back PPS files

http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00185.htm

:blink: :D

PPT=Power Point Template
PPS=Power Point Show?

They ARE NOT the same thing with different extensions. You CAN NOT edit a PPS file while you CAN edit a PPT. It's like Flash and FLAs and SWFs. FLAs are the templates where as SWFs are the movies. There is a little security built into PPS.

Thanks yoyo - I noticed you included a reference.

Thanks Un4gIvEn1 - do you have a reference for your response?

:confused: :confused:

OpenOffice.org can open PPT files ... in fact, you can do just about everything Powerpoint can do with it. It's a complete office suite like MS Office, but it's open source and free. ;)

www.openoffice.org

Powerpoint Viewer 97 did the job just nicely, thankyou yoyo..;)

...and thankyou for your helpful suggestion, cybrjam:happy:

Thats three times you have tried to pimp products from the same pages, this one in particular just bumped a two year old thread. Don't test me.

he is obviously a spammer trolling the forums to pimp his website/products... kick him to the curb. Resurrecting 2 year old threads means he is searching for posts relating to his website/products.

Hey Guys!!!
Can any1 help me out??? I need to view powerpoint files - which i can cause i downloaded the viewer. However, i want to be able to print them out so there are 6 slides per page, which i cant do. i was told to get microsoft office student and teacher edition 2003, but i cant cause i only have office98, so i would also need to get windows XP. plus, i dont think i even have enough memory for these programs! (i have 56.0 RAM). is there any way i can get around buying $500 (aust) worth of products, JUST to print out powerpoints slides smaller????

pls help me out!!!!:nervous:

Get a screen capture program. Copy off the viewer to clip board. Paste into word or whatever program you do have. Resize to fit.

Done

I'll post the link to the freeware screen capture I use in a minute. Have to do digging for it.

http://www.screenprint32.com/software/screenprint32.asp

Not sure how well this will work with Win 98. And 56 meg of RAM could make this painfully slow. Making the area you capture smaller on the screen will reduce file sizes but reduce detail also.

Thanks soo much LeeJend!! :)

Do u think i should increase my memory anyway?? Is this simple to do?? I have no clue!

56 megs of RAM is an interesting mumber (could just be 64 being reported badly)
Another option would have been to take the PPT to a printshop as I am pretty sure they would be able to open and print a powerpoint presentation.

Y is 56 and interesting number? what does it mean anyway? :suprised:

electric its probably reporting 56 because 8 mb is being used for onboard video.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back