Help going from Vista to XP?

kev59

OSNN Senior Addict
i have just bought a toshiba p200 laptop with visa it does not work with half the software at work and the plotter so i have purchased xp home. when i try and put this on it cannot find a hard drive can any one help please

Last edited:
Re: vista to xp

You probably need to press F6 when setup starts and load SATA drivers from a floppy disc.

I assume you mean you tried to load xp afterwards on a separate partition as a dual boot system. Normally you woud load XP first and let the Vista bootloader take control after loading that..
In this situation when you cannot see the hard drive on boot up, boot from the Vista DVD ( if you have it) and choose "start up repair" from the repair option menu to re establish the Vista bootloader and see the option to boot to either system
I cant think that you mean you formatted ,deleting Vista and then installed XP .
Although also SATA drivers can be an issue as AZ mentioned.

Why did you purchase XP Home? The Vista license allows you to obtain an "upgrade" to XP for free. You should contact Toshiba.

i tried that and toshiba would not have none of it, they told me i would have to buy a xp licence. No i would like to take vista off all together and just have xp. Where can i get the down load for the sata drivers so i can put them on a cd.

For toshiba, you will need to load the "Storage Manager" drivers for your laptop during install (F6). You will find the storage manager files at the toshiba site.

Here

Heeter

unsure which ones they are have tried the ich7m-32bit but it says cannot find txt setup-oem so these cannot be the right ones cause that file is on the floppy

help please

I have mucked up my work laptop by thinking i could convert vista to xp by myself, driver issues and software issues is the reason. I have purchased a xp licence and have the disc. My laptop is a satelitte p200-iee. I have downloaded what i thought was the sata drivers (f6flp32) put in the xp disc and the drivers as above on a floppy drive it goes though the loading ask you to press s and then comes up with txt setup-oem could not be found. Any ideas of what i can do i need my laptop for work monday morning HELP please.
I have posted in other section but didnt no if it was the right section

Re: help please

what is the model name - on the site it will ask you for the short model name, this is norm the first line on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop, this will help in tracking down the right drivers

just found your laptop on the site but there is no sata driver there, what you could do is get the latest intel chipset drivers and extract them to the hard drive and see if you can put them onto a floppy or usb key if your system will see it at boot and point xp to that device, although i have never had xp give me any problems on a install where sata was the main disc, normaly it should just install with generic drivers and then you install latest ones afterwards

how do i find out which drivers i need ie latest intel chipset drivers

Last edited:
on the site it says 8.0.1014 - you should be ok to either get them or the latest ones from intel's site

sorry being a bit thick here which site are you refering to

In the BIOS setup see if you have the option to change the HDD interface from AHCI to an alternative, normally "IDE" mode or sometimes legacy mode.

This makes the drive interface visible to the text mode setup and has little effect to the performance in Windows although some options are lost at a technical level. Once Windows is installed, drivers added and patched up you can then try switching it back to AHCI mode if you want, my own experience with that stage is sometimes it works sometimes not. If it doesn't then I just leave it in IDE mode

taken from here :

http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=111355

Another option might be this :

I had the same problem...

Try to use NLite
With this free tool you can create a custom XP installation disk (ofcourse you need a working pc to run this tool....).

It images your xp-cd and you have the option to add drivers. the drivers you need to add for the xp installation to work are in the "Intel Matrix Storage Manager-7.5.0.1017" zip link

I used the drivers in the ICH8M_32bit directory.

also from the above mentioned site ...

Good luck

If I were you I would go over that Toshiba site with a fine tooth comb seems then answer might be over there ..

sorry for all this how do you add the ich8m into nlite cannot find a descripsion on this

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back