Help Getting Back to XP

Floppy disks are useful for more than just sata drivers :)

I'm not having a go, I'm just interested in knowing:
But what do you use them for? I haven't used a floppy for anything other than SATA drivers in about 5 years!

They make great coasters. :p

But yeah, for SATA drivers with XP installs or the recovery console they are a must. I had to do one for my Seagate SATA drive when an install of XP decided to corrupt a system file after serious lock up.

You need the BIN file from an original XP installation disc. Use this tool.

Last edited:
i was able to boot with a new xp disc using the nlite program. but i got the blue screen again, so im guessing im either integrating the wrong drivers or....nlite isn't integrating them right? i say this because if i follow madmatt's tutorial, it says to create the $OEM$ folder, but when i use nlite, no new folders are created, is this right?

im using HWINFO32 to come up with this information.. it says my motherboard's name is DD33SXG2 (ive tried searching for this with no results), the chipset is G33 (bearlake-g) + ICH9R

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=N&ProductID=2101&DwnldID=13494&strOSs=44&OSFullName=Windows*%20XP%20Professional&lang=eng

im using those drivers

Last edited:
The BSOD is likely caused by the wrong drivers.

ok i've tried again with some drivers given to me by someone from neowin, and i still get the blue screen...maybe im integrating them wrong? now im thinking i should just get a USB floppy drive and try that way, but i searched for which usb drives would be recognized by xp during the install and there seems to be only three usb floppy drives that are compatible:
Mitsumi (no model number given)
Y-E Data; Sony part number 09K9835
TEAC; IBM option part number 27L4226, FRU 05K9283
this is from the microsoft site, and i can't find these drives, ive tried newegg, compusa, walmart(?), amazon. so if anyone has experience loading xp sata drivers with a usb floppy, could you tell me which brand and model you used?

The bios has to support USB boot and the USB floppy has to be supported. Waste of time and money.

Get a $5 used internal floppy, plug it into the MB & power and lay it on the desk next to the PC long enough to load. Then wrap it up and stick it in the closet until you need it again.

yea i figured that was another option..im still thinking that the drivers that im using are the wrong ones..

Last edited:
alright i just opened up the pc, and it looks like using an internal floppy is out of the question.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back