Help! CD Audio only plays in certain CD Players

Wrathchild

OSNN Senior Addict
Hey Folks,

I recently made a compilation CD from my own MP3s (Legally Obtained from my own store-bought CDs) And have this problem. It will play in my PC and my car CD player, but not my set top DVD player or my girlfriends car CD player. It's also worth noting that it skipps like crazy in my car CD player. I used Nero to burn the MP3s to a compilation. Any suggestions on how to burn a more universally compatible CD?

Wrath

Did you use CD-W or CD-RW discs?

I know that a lot of players will not read CD-RW discs. :(

GraLk

Hmmmm...

Not that then. Maybe it's the speed that you are reading/writing at. I use Nero all the time, and I have lost a few discs in the past due to trying to burn at max speed. Keep it down to 4X max. I know it takes a bit longer, but it is worth it for quality.

GraLk

what? im no expert but that's crap to me. i have a 24x and it would be useless for me to burn at 4x if im capable of buring much faster. that's why you buy a fast burning drive right? maybe wrathchild's burner doesn't have burn underrun proof or whatever that's called...like i said im no expert but you shouldn't have to lower the speed THAT much if you have a good burner.

Let's debunk the myth about burning at a lower speed for better quality-cause all that is a myth. In fact with a 24x burner (dang I need a new one :( ) burning at a slower speed could produce a worse copy.
Now as for your problem-more than likely it's the disk. First are the Imation certified for 24x burning and if not did your burner slow down and burn up to the certified speed? Not that it makes much difference.
The second issue is Imation. I have had the same problem with them. I quit using them because of that.
You should trust only disks made in Japan ie sony, HP, Fuji. They are made by Taiyo Yuden and arguably are the best CDRs widely available. Just make sure it says Made In Japan on the side and not Taiwan. (sony is famous for switching)

did u actually burn them as mp3s or did you burn them as something else....meaning did u create a music cd or a data cd....

Brad

I see that it could be two problems:

1. Did you burn a data CD (MP3 Compilation) leaving the files as MP3's?

2. Did you burn an audio CD (CD-A Compilation) on CD-RA discs?

For the first, most CD players and DVD players do not read MP3 files. You will need to reburn the CD using the Audio CD format (In Nero, Audio CD. In Roxio/Adaptec, Music CD).

For the second, some CD players and DVD players can not read CD's that are preformatted, such as the Compact Disc - Recordable Audio (CD-RA). These discs are somewhat cheaper than standard CD-R's and are preformatted for Audio CD use. To find out if it is CD-RA, look on the CD. It will usually say CD-R Music or CD-R Audio. To fix this problem, reburn the CD on standard CD-R's.

Just a correction

CD-RA's are more expensive since they have have the federal "tax" included for blank media as do blank VHS tapes.

Also some dvd players will not play cdr's. As for ripping software try cdex, it's good and it's free

The first thing I would do is try another brand of CD.
We will take it from there ;)

ill agree with hilander that taiwan discs are not very good...i bought a 50 pack of staples brand (the office supply store) discs because they were cheap. they are made in taiwan and ive had a horrible time with them. most of the time ill get an error even before it starts burning

Right now i'm interning in a recording studio and i've learned that the best way to burn an audio cd is in real-time (1x). You'll recieve the best quality from it and you won't lose the cd most of the time. Try that, it takes FOREVER, but i think its worth it. Also try cleaning the lens on your burner...

I burn cd's everyday at least 20x speed without any errors ever .

formula for successful cd burning = cd burner with burn proof technology and good quality cd's.

formula for unsuccesful cd burning = cheap cd burner and cheap cd's.

just my opninion:D

still trying

I burned a CD Audio disk from MP3s. Not a data disk with MP3s on it. Again, it plays in some CD players, but not others. The media I used is CD-R.

I agree on two points mentioned here...

1) Using a Different CD-R Media might help

2) Burning at 4X or less is the best recording setting for audio CDs, I don't care what burner you bought, or what software you are using. According to ADAPTEC, and AHEAD to be the cleanest audio cd from MP3 4X is the best speed.

I have read on many sites that this is the case, buying a 24X is not a waste of cash if you burn audio cds at 4X, because data can still be burnt at 24X.

:D

Originally posted by bheagle
I agree on two points mentioned here...

1) Using a Different CD-R Media might help

2) Burning at 4X or less is the best recording setting for audio CDs, I don't care what burner you bought, or what software you are using. According to ADAPTEC, and AHEAD to be the cleanest audio cd from MP3 4X is the best speed.

I have read on many sites that this is the case, buying a 24X is not a waste of cash if you burn audio cds at 4X, because data can still be burnt at 24X.

I can agree fully on number 1.

On number 2, if you have a cd burner (without) burn proof technology, then yes you need to slow it down to burn successfully, without buffer under runs. So I agree with you there, however.......

If you have a cd burner (with) burn proof technology, just push the button and let it burn, no worries. If you had one you'd understand, it's that simple. I'm not slamming you. It's like comparing Windows XP with Windows 3.1, newer technology is all it is.

;) Like I said in the first place, burn nice 'n' slow. :D
Like others said, use good cd-r's. :)

GraLk

still trying

That still doesn't address the question of why it would play in one cd player and not another.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back