Help! Cat too cute!

Petros

Thief IV
For years, I was raised by a cat-hating dad with an offbeat sense of humor.

"What do we do with cats?" He would say.
My Pavlovian response was "We smash cats!" This made our guests understandably suspicious of my odd father and his equally odd offspring.

Now I've married into a cat (came with the Mrs.), and she (the cat is who I refer to in this paragraph, although my wife is a cutie too ;)) is adorable. For all her shedding, early morning yowling, and aloofness at times, I have uncontrollable urges to spoil her and cuddle with my ears tuned to her purring.

ONLY CRAZY PEOPLE DO THIS! OLD LADIES IN WOOD SHACKS IN OREGON! Not born-to-hate-cats me. What should I do?!

Just go with it.

First, your father didn't like cats, but that doesn't mean you have to dislike them also. It was his choice, as it is yours. So you find that some of the sentiments you were raised with, isn't how you feel. I think we all find this out about ourselves from time to time.

Second, if something were to happen to the cat (not sure if he was that serious, though I don't know the guy); your new wife would, understandably be upset.

I rather like cats myself...very low-maintenance...unlike most dogs (and wives). Feed it, give it water, a place to crap and the occasional pat on the head and all is well. Dogs...well, I like dogs, but you may as well just have another kid. :lick:

And yes, I know I'm dead meat if the wife reads this...:dead: :laugh:

ahahahah you will be the like those old cat ladies soon....50 cats, but the house is all rundown.

you are not immune to the power of the cat!

As a previous landlord I would not rent to someone who owned a cat. They ruin the carpeting.

The reason I'm a previous landlord? I got tired of having to spend $2000 to recarpet houses after tenants snuck cats in and the houses became unrentabel from the smell in the carpets. If I was lucky I got to keep a few hundred dollars in deposit money to replace thousands worth of carpeting.

The neighborhood cats pissing on my door mats and in my lanscaping and making it smell like a toilet don't endear me to them either.

They're best used for squeaky toys for dogs and target practice.

Oh? You say your cat hasn't ruined the carpeting? Yes they have. You get used to the stench after a while and don't notice it. Anyone else who walks in the place knows it stinks.

BTW It seeps through the carpet nad into the wood or concrete underneath too. You have to use a sealer on the subfloor sometimes.

LeeJend said:
As a previous landlord I would not rent to someone who owned a cat. They ruin the carpeting.

The reason I'm a previous landlord? I got tired of having to spend $2000 to recarpet houses after tenants snuck cats in and the houses became unrentabel from the smell in the carpets. If I was lucky I got to keep a few hundred dollars in deposit money to replace thousands worth of carpeting.

The neighborhood cats pissing on my door mats and in my lanscaping and making it smell like a toilet don't endear me to them either.

They're best used for squeaky toys for dogs and target practice.

Oh? You say your cat hasn't ruined the carpeting? Yes they have. You get used to the stench after a while and don't notice it. Anyone else who walks in the place knows it stinks.

BTW It seeps through the carpet nad into the wood or concrete underneath too. You have to use a sealer on the subfloor sometimes.

litter training... and getting a male cat fixed before they start spraying will help this...

my wife and i have 2 cats and they do not go on the carpet, and never have. they were litter trained young and have been exceptionally well about it. the only smell their is when the litter box needs changed... i have friends that are allergic to cats that come by and are amazed that they can't smell the cats in our apt. Its a matter of taking care of your place. running the sweeper and cleaning does wonders.

I got her one of those Super Scratchers from Wal Mart (corrugated cardboard loaded with catnip). She scratches nothing else, and sometimes falls asleep on it sniffing the catnip :D And then I got her the $80 electric litterbox :eek:

Yeah, our cats don't scratch anything but my old computer chair (because I let them), and they have never gone on the carpet (well, one did puke once, but so have my kids :s ). I haven't simply gotten used to it, my bro-in-law has 2 dogs, and THAT you can smell. I just got back from a week long vacation and my house doesn't smell.

Maybe you just have some nasty a$$ cats in your neck of the woods Lee?:ermm: :lick:

best part of a cat is when they are kittens.. If you bring them up right then its great.. Mine used to sleep on my leg while i was playing quake like 3-4yrs ago, and we treated her nice and now she is great. On the other hand my grandma's cat had to deal with a few of my drunk uncles and hates everyone and doesn't come out often because of the hell that he had to live with.
What i did for my cat was get a scratching post (with rope on it because they like rope morethan carpet) and she never scratched the couches or antyhing. Then we never fed her wet food and just cat food so she doesn't eat table scraps or beg for food when we are eating (unlike dogs).. If you can train the cat right will be the best pet ever because of how easy they are to deal with.

EDIT:
WoW unwonted an 80$ litter box?? that is cool. I hate having to clean mine everyday..
Do cats even go to the bathroom outside of litter boxes if they have them? I have never had a cat piss anywhere else, except when one was marking his territory.. (was the best cat ever except the vet over sudaded him when i was getting him declawed and never woke up :( sucked hardcore, he would sleep on my pillow and eat my hair at 7 to wake meup for school or work.. was a great alarm clock.

I used to have all sorts of pets.

Alaskan Huskies
Labs
Collie
Cats
Birds
My parents even had a monkey once...

I gave them up as living in the city-town would be horrible for them. But April has Sassy, minx, err, minks, a cat without a tail. Fixed, declawed and doesn't meow. She holws if she is scared or talks if she wants something, THAT was scary and freaky the first while.

The worst she does is shed, and puke if she isn't brushed every day. But it is the womans job, or the cat leaves. I love the furball, but don't tell her that. I like cats more now.

Dogs lick their ass and then your face.
Cats don't
Dogs piss and crap everywhere.
Cats don't
Most dogs bark.
Cats don't

mooo said:
Do cats even go to the bathroom outside of litter boxes if they have them? I have never had a cat piss anywhere else

F-ing right they do. My old roomate (kicked her out) had three cats, and two of them refused to use the litter box, if wasn't spotless, and I mean spotless. And with three cats, you can imagine that being a challenge. I use to love cats, BEFORE her (depsite being mildly allergic)

I'll stick with my dog

And for the record the third one was a total sweetie.

Steevo,

I wonder if your Alaskin Huskey minded the birds much. When I was a kid, we had a Malemute and I (as well as a brother of mine) each had some peraketes (sp?) One day when we weren't in the room the malemute got into the cage, started chasing my bird all over the house, and in the end we found the bird in her mouth...

Course, some pets are better kept apart. Not sure how Iuke got upstairs though...

Yeah, I've got a dog and the new wifey wants a cat. Mind you she's now midway thru pregnancy and it may be a motherly thing or something new to pet. My dog, yeah, he's a pain in the ass. I'm military so he gets his Cubicle of a back yard to play in. Doesn't understand that petting is something that is meant to be nice, so he chooses to chew on you during. I put charcoal in the backyard and went back in to get the lighter, no more than 10 sec. later the bag is torn apart and shredded across the yard. He doesn't know any tricks except if he wants something, he knows hes not going to get it until he sits. As for cats, my ex roommate had one and it was cool with me when I moved in, but after a few months it found my clothes to be a piss box as well as my bed. Now, that makes an interesting explanation when you're trying to bring someone girl home from the bar and lay down in a bed that reeks of urine. After that, I'll stick with my dog, or even Satan's dog for that matter.

cat = bad

dogs = awsome

I love my two dogs...smart ass dogs tho. I caught one of them with there hole mouth on my gate and keep pulling on it till the thing broke and the gate opened. Only reason they did it was cause my parents were on vacation and missed them otherwise they have never did that before. Also we put the chair in front of our slider door since the lock broke and they can open it when its not locked. Anyway...the moved the chair that was wedge under the handle and opened the door. You can also sit and talk to my one dog cause he answers back. My other dog is like a crack addict cause everytime he hears you say ball he runs and wants to play throw the ball lol...also when he is outside with his ball in his mouth and if you look at him for a spilt sec he thinks your gonna throw his ball so he runs up to you with it lol.

So back to my point...cats suck!

The dogs stayed outside except my moms dog. No problems with them other than they scared the piss out of company, they wouldn't bite, but would walk right up to a cr and look straight in at the person inside. Most people woudn't get out.

All of our pets learned to get along, if they didn't they were seperated.

*pets dog* im a dog person my self. but you cant not like a kitten in my opinion. Cats on the other had are alot like women. half the time they wont give you the time of day.. and then some of the time. they just wont leave you alone. s

lol

not to be mean or anything its just my sister was LOL when she saw that and we both agreed to that statement

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back