HELP!!! cant see my hard disk

obsidianx2

OSNN Newbie
i recently added an old 40gig ide hard disk back into my destop pc
it is detected by BIOs and in device manager of windows

however i cant see it in "my computer" as a drive... previously did the same thing b4 and all was fine...

i installed alcohol 120 between the last time i plugged in the 40g HD

pls help, got important info inside the drive

do you have it set for slave or master ??

When you look at it in the device manager ... try this instead , right click on my computer icon, go to manage, disk manager , see if you see your hard drive there and if so what does it say for example ... basic ? dynamic?

Attachments

• disk manager.JPG
    disk manager.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 143
Kermit is in the right direction, it sounds like your drive needs to be initialized and then formatted. Until this action happens, Windows doesn't know how to interpret it because there is no File System. Follow his directions above and right-click on the drive to get the ball rolling....

do not format this drive if you are trying to retrieve important info that is on it.

You can still get a look at it without formatting the way I showed, I wanted to see if the OS see's his hard drive .

Well kcnychief mentioned formatting. I was just making sure you guys saw that sentence before providing directions to format.

Yes and formatting is not what we want here , just want to see his hard drive

By chance did you forget to connect the power cable?

Sorry for not reading the OP carefully enough, feel free to slap me silly :s

EDIT: Back to Kermit's original suggestion, since you can see it within Device Manager, does it show up in Disk Management?

Until we know this there really is no going anywhere, if it is in the Disk Managment , we need to know how it is seen

Kermit_The_Frog said:
Until we know this there really is no going anywhere, if it is in the Disk Managment , we need to know how it is seen

Seconded.

Can you post a screenshot?

Can you see it in safe mode ?? also, is it the same format as the first one ? if the first one is fat32 and the second one is ntfs, you won't be able to see .. I am thinking that once you format it you will be able to see it ... If you can see it in safe mode try it in there .

You can run two different file systems. I've done it before. Besides, he can't format. He needs to grab data off it.

Myabe he needs to assign a drive letter to it. I'll wait for a screenshot first tho.

Yes windows xp will see both fat and ntfs , we just need to hear from the person with the problem ...seems he is not around at the moment.

no its not in disk management but
at the same time
a pop up appeared wif "disk0" and a check box next to it
tink it wants me to format my old HD

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back