help buying a wireless router?

Impulse4life

Windows Perfectionist
Hey guys. I'm getting myself a wireless router and I wanted to ask you guys a question first. I was considering getting the DI-624 like THIS one. But before I do I was wondering this one thing. If Im the only computer connected to it on the internet... will my download speeds decrease alot/any? I have an adsl connection with the following test results

Test running..........
** Speed 1223(down)/654(up) kbps **
(At least 22 times faster than a 56k modem)
Finish.

If you need to know more please let me know! Thanks for any help!! :cool:

if you are going to be the only computer connected...i would suggest getting a 802.11b wireless router. 802.11b (11Mbps) is still about 4x as fast as standard broadband connections. 108 Mbps is overkill for just one computer, and you won't see any improvement over a cheaper 802.11b router. I've also heard that the newer WAPs offer higher speeds but less range. I can go about 4-5 townhouses down and still get a connection :D

Buy.com has my router for $32 after rebates:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10328497&loc=101&sp=1

i got mine at bestbuy at a sale for only $20

if money no object....

Impulse4life said:
.... If Im the only computer connected to it on the internet... will my download speeds decrease alot/any? ...

then personally I would go for the (emerging) 802.11g standard (presently at draft stage, but I myself have a wi-fi notebook enabled to this standard).

This will be at least six times faster than the 802.11b kit and although it may not matter to you immediately if you start adding devices or computers to your network and any of them start getting bandwidth heavy then you are kitted out to handle it, instead of needing an upgrade.

If you cannot think how you would use the bandwidth - then imagine having a half dozen wireless webcams around your house and viewing them on your PC in real time - that would eat your bandwidth OK! :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back