Help! Admin. error XP updates (home)

P

puddlefreak

I have Win XP home and I can't run updates. It says 'administrators only' I'm the only user. how do fix this?

try either downloading tweak xp and enabling the show administrator acct on logon, or at your logon screen hit ctrl-alt delete twice and at the w2k style prompt type administrator and whatever your normal password is

didn't work

Tweak can't fix it and I can't logon as Administrator. It asks for the password but I don't have one. I was told to try ??edit.msc, but I have Home edition and it doesn't have that option.

First, run regedit from the run box and navigate to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate

Next, right click on WindowsUpdate, in the left box and go to the permissions line.

Make sure that you have checks in all the ALLOW boxes

That should get ya straightened out. Howie:D

Still no luck

I had them all checked except the Owner one which, when you press 'apply' reverts back to unchecked. I noticed the Owner was set as 'administrators', and I changed that, but still no luck. I thought I read that the Updates site was back on-line, and I'm wondering if I'm one of the ones who still can't get on.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back